Nauset History

Rate this topic

Tony Stetzko

...and now seals eat those bass' descendants before they reach 5 pounds :(

I remember my uncle showing me that sign as a kid when we'd drive out on Nauset to swim and fish for the day. I also remember seeing bass bigger than me swim under my boogie board, following the whitewater in after each big wave. Man there were a lot of fish there.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Recently read "Drifting Memories" by Francis Higgins about the camps/homes along Nauset beach - good book.

Tony - alot of us are waiting for you to put pen to paper about your fishing experiences along that stretch of beach/ocean!

JimD

JimD
SOL #38

"Drifting Memories"  great read about the camps on Nauset... Each one had it's own history. I was very fortunate to have one... it's in the book... It was Martin Hanleys camp... a real character with huge amounts of local color!  He gave his camp to me as got to old to get out there anymore. Had it for a couple years before the No Name storm wiped out 15 camps!  The camp had a dune coming up the kitchen wall that allowed you to walk right onto the roof.. stand on the chimney and scan the beach for action.  There was a great bowl right in front that produced a few over 50!!!  As we type away they are doing in the camps that are left on the last piece of the sand which stops at the inlet in front of the light.  

Spent many a fall night warming up in front of the huge fireplace.  Sure miss it!!!

beachfood.jpg

Grillin some beach food for a charter!

Had my first unchaperoned date on Nauset. It was suppose to be a double date but the other gal said nooo so I just figured he wasn't coming.

Well think about it,,your with the girl of your dreams and your trying to smile while you change a flat tire on beach sand. Not easy. Then you make your way down to about windy city(between first&second village) ,set ou your blanket and hold it down with a picnic basket on one corner and a brand new Admiral portable radio that cost about as much as the car.$35bucks. Of course I got the car at Chicky Clark's junk yard.

Well just about the time this fantastic gal sets on the blanket along comes a small single engine plain. Well I figure there looking for schools of bass just off shore so they can fish the beach were they think there going to come in. WRONG The plain goes up the beach and comes back then lands on outside beach at low tide,,the door opens and my buddy gets out and yells HEY,HOW COME YOU LEFT ME???

wELL GUYS THAT WAS THE FIRST TIME i HEARD MY WIFE (TO BE) SWAER

Had my first unchaperoned date on Nauset. It was suppose to be a double date but the other gal said nooo so I just figured he wasn't coming.

Well think about it,,your with the girl of your dreams and your trying to smile while you change a flat tire on beach sand. Not easy. Then you make your way down to about windy city(between first&second village) ,set ou your blanket and hold it down with a picnic basket on one corner and a brand new Admiral portable radio that cost about as much as the car.$35bucks. Of course I got the car at Chicky Clark's junk yard.

Well just about the time this fantastic gal sets on the blanket along comes a small single engine plain. Well I figure there looking for schools of bass just off shore so they can fish the beach were they think there going to come in. WRONG The plain goes up the beach and comes back then lands on outside beach at low tide,,the door opens and my buddy gets out and yells HEY,HOW COME YOU LEFT ME???

Now THIS is a story! Truth always beats fiction....

WOW!!!!! .... That section of sand ,on the Pleasant Bay side, in between the north and south camps was right in the back yard of the camp I had! Ocean on one side PB on the other... Usually the PB side is where they would land the planes... dropping down on low water must have been some site!

So what happen to the date after Mr. Cool dropped in?????

WOW!!!!! .... That section of sand ,on the Pleasant Bay side, in between the north and south camps was right in the back yard of the camp I had! Ocean on one side PB on the other... Usually the PB side is where they would land the planes... dropping down on low water must have been some site!

So what happen to the date after Mr. Cool dropped in?????

Got messed up Tony. PRETY HARD TO ENJOY THE S L O W RIDE BACK WITH A THIRD WHEEL.

Ican remember Howard Rose would land his plain on that inside flat and would try to talk you out of driving across it and leaving marks on the smooth flat

Alot of kids ended up sleeping over at Howards Old Harbor Station off season.

After his death I was given a gift,,his Harnell conventional rod. Kind of heavy by today's standards but a great gift.

Nate Higgings was his caretaker for a while and was just a great guy.Helped me a few times with my beach junks

You have to realize that I owned four cars before I broke the hundred dollar mark and thats not counting the ones that were unregistered and parked at Smith Neck road up among the pine trees so that we could roll them and jump start them and then follow the marth edge untill we got to the lower gatehouse area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

Sitting here on the left coast, and all I can say, "Cool Man!" What the hell, couldn't he take the hint?

I have not been on SOL for some time, but my son told me Tony joined so I had to go on. I tell everyone that was the best charter I've ever had, and that picture of you grilling brings it all back again, grilling steak at midnight, with melon and beer, after a great night of fly fishing Pleasant Bay. Heaven on earth.