Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hoyaken

Best small center console?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

New member.....

Thinking about returning to the water after a few years.

What do you think about the Boston whaler outrage 190 v. The Grady white fisherman 180 v. The robalo 180 cc v. The edge water 170 cc?

Hoyaken

very different boats, very different prices, very different needs are met.

What do you want to do, where do you want to do it, and how much do you want to spend, both in initial price and fuel?

The Northcoast 19' is the best riding CC I have ever been on by a long long shot. It does not have all the amenities of the boats you mentioned, but if you want to fish in rough stuuf in small boat this is the one for you.

sam

NorthCoast is having an open house on 4/14/12 11am-3pm at their factory in Bristol, RI. Good chance to check them out.

Having owned Grady for years, I am biased and would go with the 18 GW.

Another vote for the Northcoast. I have the 18' Skiff and its a great "small center console". You can fish the flats in this boat and also go out and fish the reefs.

At first blush, and since the Whaler is an option, get it. The mentioned boats provide similar experiences, give or take. You can get more boat/longer boat for the money. But. If its your first new boat and fancy yourself a waterman in the making again, you'll desire more running surface in the near future (or a second boat). The Whaler will trade up well while providing you with a cool second boat, cache, pride of ownership or arguably some sort of piece of mind.

Mud

^And this is the reason why whalers are sold, NOT because they are good boats.

Since the OP posted all 11 of his posts on the first day, and has not logged in since, it might be a troll, but i'll play along anyway.

Of all of those boats listed, the whaler is the worst decision. Besides resale(if new resale value is not a good indication because they, like every other boat on the water, depreciate much more once you sign the title, than for the remainder of the first year or two.), there is no benefit of a whaler over the other 3 boats selected.

WHY?

Well many boats out there supply full flotation foam in their boats if that is your piece of mind, at a much cheaper price. Add to that, whaler is pressurized foam under 2 VERY thin skins.

Because of the pressurized foam with thin skins, 1, if you get a crack and water intrusion, the foam soaks up the water and explodes the inner skin. 2, the boat rides awful in comparison to a similarly sized boat with an actually HULL instead of just a skin on the foam. Think high frequency vibration.

The ride is pretty awful in comparison to the other boats mentioned. Whaler says their Outrages are Deep V's, however the 190 only has an 18degree v at the transom. That means its not a 20, NOR is it a Deep V. Thats a standard V. Grady will have a Deep V, Robalo will have a Deep V, and Edgewater probably gives the same 18 degree v. BUT WAIT, it's not all about the V at the transom. It's also about V angle at entry. Oh well all 3 of them have a much steeper entry angle than the whaler also.

Are you shopping strictly by name? It seems that all your choices have quite the premium based on the name thye have made for themselves. I feel there are probably some better options out there in your price range, that don't necessarily have the name. I also find it interesting, you look at the BW 19, yet look at only the Edgewater 170. They make an 18'8" Edgewater, and while only a few bucks more, will provide a tremendous amount more room.

As to my opinion, first would be Grady, 2nd Edgewater 170, 3rd robalo, and never BW.

If you move to the Edgewater 188, that becomes my #1 decision, then the grady.

^And this is the reason why whalers are sold, NOT because they are good boats.

Since the OP posted all 11 of his posts on the first day, and has not logged in since, it might be a troll, but i'll play along anyway.

Of all of those boats listed, the whaler is the worst decision. Besides resale(if new resale value is not a good indication because they, like every other boat on the water, depreciate much more once you sign the title, than for the remainder of the first year or two.), there is no benefit of a whaler over the other 3 boats selected.

WHY?

Well many boats out there supply full flotation foam in their boats if that is your piece of mind, at a much cheaper price. Add to that, whaler is pressurized foam under 2 VERY thin skins.

Because of the pressurized foam with thin skins, 1, if you get a crack and water intrusion, the foam soaks up the water and explodes the inner skin. 2, the boat rides awful in comparison to a similarly sized boat with an actually HULL instead of just a skin on the foam. Think high frequency vibration.

The ride is pretty awful in comparison to the other boats mentioned. Whaler says their Outrages are Deep V's, however the 190 only has an 18degree v at the transom. That means its not a 20, NOR is it a Deep V. Thats a standard V. Grady will have a Deep V, Robalo will have a Deep V, and Edgewater probably gives the same 18 degree v. BUT WAIT, it's not all about the V at the transom. It's also about V angle at entry. Oh well all 3 of them have a much steeper entry angle than the whaler also.

Are you shopping strictly by name? It seems that all your choices have quite the premium based on the name thye have made for themselves. I feel there are probably some better options out there in your price range, that don't necessarily have the name. I also find it interesting, you look at the BW 19, yet look at only the Edgewater 170. They make an 18'8" Edgewater, and while only a few bucks more, will provide a tremendous amount more room.

As to my opinion, first would be Grady, 2nd Edgewater 170, 3rd robalo, and never BW.

If you move to the Edgewater 188, that becomes my #1 decision, then the grady.[/quote]

An excellent opinion!

I appreciate the discussion. I am just at the beginning of my search. I am not limited to the ones listed and am also open to a newer used boat.In fact, I am not even sure that the center console would be the best choice. I also want to compare the center consoles with the small Grady Tournament / Freedom and the similarly styled Edgewater. In terms of length, I just want a boat that will be easily trailerable. 

I will take a look at the manufacturers noted above. Chief2- If you have a good non-premium brand that I should also add to my list, please let me know. FYI, the boat will spend most of its time in Lavallette. 

Hoyaken

Chief has a great deal of insight and knowlege, his recommendations are spot on. You asked about another boat, I would recommend Angler. I've had 2 of them and had great perfornance for the price. In the 18 foot class CC, the Angler 183F is a hell of a package, just make sure you get more than 90 HP base motor. I have a 115 Optimax and love it. But we all have our opinions. Good luck in your search.

I have a 2005 North Coast bought new in 2006 she has been very good to me . I love the suzuki

115 four stroke, 600 hours trouble free operatiom. My N/C is pretty well appointed; tackle center, T Top, bow rail, custom color . I did not order any of thes options they came with the boat The leaning post tackle cemter is great the other stuff is nice but the tackle center comes in handy.

Dick O'D

[img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3300837/width/600/height/450]