Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
partyboater

Roof work- moss growing in shaded areas

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi- Can anyone recommend someone to take care of the roof issue I am having? We are getting moss/lichens on some areas of the roof that get little direct sunlight. I have tried a chemical from the hardware store with not too good a result. Would like to find a way to permanently stop it from growing. Thanks!

Larry

I have heard that shingles made with cooper or a copper sheet or rod at the top of the roof line in the are of the moss grows will help keep the moss from growing back. Each time it rains the copper will leave a chemical behind that inhibits moss growth. I have the same issue on both my garage and house roof and I may give this a try.

If its an old roof use a little beach and water is a spray bottle for weeds. But i was just thinking do the same thing with the spray bottle put water in it and put copper and let it sit over night and then spray.

You don't necessarily need to cut the trees down. Try elevating them first. Cut off the lower lying branches. This will help with some air flow to dry out the roof too. Worked for me.

Just had this conversation last night with a neighbor, you can use moss control which is just fireplace ash changes the ph and kills all vegetative plants without harming the mineral surface of the roof. They do have companies that charge $600.00 + for “Shampooing” your roof

Any chemical you put on your roof shingles may void the shingles warranty. The use of copper is recommended, but make sure that it is installed in a manner which will allow the roof to remain waterproof. you could slide a small length of copper under the edge of the ridge cap( the shingles that cover the peak of the roof). leave about an inch or two exposed.

The cutting of the lower tree branches also could work depending on how near the house the trees are. also cut off any and all overhanging tree branches that may some day come in contact with the roof. I say someday as in the future you might not be able to get up there to do it yourself.

Good luck.