Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Budlightyear

Herring Question?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Are Native Americans allowed to take herring from anywhere in Massachusetts or is it restricted to allow them only certain areas? Is there a limit on the amount they can take and do they need a permit? What proof of lineage is needed and is it open to all family descendants through blood and marriage?

this is more of a legal question and the courts have done a great job muddying the waters over the years. from what i can tell you, card carrying tribal members are able to take fish/shellfish for sustenance purposes. this means they can basicly go anywhere in the state they choose. they don't need a license. however, i do believe they must follow the local ordinances when it comes to harvest limits and this is where many people have had issues with the law.

Yes and no. Some native Americans are allowed to take herring, but the criterors are somewhat cloudy.

They are allowed to harvest 'some' herring for food, or as part of their traditional meals and practices. Provided, they produce a valid tribal card when checked.

They are not permitted to harvest herring for bass or lobster bait. However, I believe the MV tribe gave up their fishing and herring rights in exchange for some consessions from the gubmint. Don't ask me what they are, b/c I'm not sure.

.... What proof of lineage is needed and is it open to all family descendants through blood and marriage?

Short answer.....it varies widely.

Do some research on blood quantum laws and the degree of blood qauntum, i.e., 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc. necessary for membership in various tribes.

It's interesting reading.