Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rduarte

Tautog & RI DEM question...

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I read that tautog usually move closer to shore in the spring when the water reaches 48 degrees.  Is this some what accurate info or do they move more based on timeline?  Also, any idea when RI DEM will release the 2012 size, season, limit?  I mean we are in 2012?  Right?  I think MA and CT have theirs out already.

Thanks.

DEM usually updates their website with the new regs a week or two before Aug 15.

I kinda got a feeling we going to see even stricter regs on togs or no spring tog fishing. Only making my guess on late last year. How they extended the season on scup, fluke, and sea bass to Dec 31st. Trying to get people to target togs less, by doing that. Just my opinion.

I assume you mean that the regs will be tightened up on the scup and sea bass?  Think that the other states actually loosened the scup regs, not sure about the sea bass and tightened the tog regs.  Not 100% sure.  You guys ever think they would go a season of catch and release on certain species to beef up the fishery?

I spoke with DEM about this last week, as far as tog everything will be the same. Black seabass and scup however, may be different :mad:

If thats true, then I can see them lowering the size and upping the limit on seabass and scup. Can't see them doing the opposite of that since they let us fished them to Dec 31st last year.