NEW TOY

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I currently own the following:

Weber Genesis Silver

Weber Q200

Weber Smokey Joe

and now the proud owner of a

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker so looking for smome outstanding reciepes to try outribs, chicken, fish

never smoked before so whatcha got fellas.tx in advance:D

Just search this forum for WSM. I did a thread called Take One. Little, NS Mike D and Nemesis have all posted on the WSM.

Small or large?

Gotta learn how to use it first.  Not hard, just different.  Cook chickens.  Better to wreck four dollars worth of chicken that 50 dollars of ribs.

If starting with chickens, go light on the smoke. I did my first with heavy hickory smoke and it was inedible :wee: Try light smoke from fruitwoods -- apple is nice.

Get the book Low and Slow by Gary Wiviott

he also runs a website as the virtual bullet person - totally dedicated to the WSM

The key is to start with a basic technique (amount and type of charcoal, temp meat , vents, wood, time etc) and change only one thing at a time so that you undertand how each vaiable contributes to the cook.

Like these guys say, start with chicken (but follow wiviott's method) since it's the easiest meat to cook

When you move to ribs, definately follow his method of taking the ribs off the cooker at 30 minute intervals so that you understand by comparison different levels of done (it's by feel, not temp)

Start with kingfords blue charcoal for no other reason than consistency.

Bump the wsm thread when you have questions, there is really good advice hear. Ignore Little's post for a while, he'll get you thinking and you'll break away from Wiviott's method too early.

Keep an eye on Scotto's posts - he and his teammate took 4th place in pork at the American Royal Invitational last October. He has street cred.

BTW, love your collection - me:

Weber Silver Summit

Weber 22 Kettle

Weber Q200

WSM 22

WSM 18

When you are done with your training with Low and Slow, let us know, I'll bump he threads on the diffusser and guru/stokers.

If starting with chickens, go light on the smoke. I did my first with heavy hickory smoke and it was inedible :wee: Try light smoke from fruitwoods -- apple is nice.

+1 apple is my main wood, and just a few pieces

hickory here and there, but usually just one or two chunks

I use pecan like I would apple, but I can't tell the difference in the end product (I'll need to do a side by side one day)

I've done some smoke with no wood lately with the Royal Oak providing all the smoke flavor I was looking for.

great advise guys think i will get my feet wet friday tx again..........standby

you still have not told us which bullet you got?

BTW, don't rush put the food in the cooker. It usually takes 20 - 30 minutes for it to come up to temperature and settle in. Wait for the white smoke to disappear and turn into a thin blue smoke - almost as if there is not smoke at all. That billowing white smoke has all the off-flavors.

On my 22 I put a full chimney of coal unlit down. Drop a few chunks of wood, then a second unlit chimney of charcoal. Then I start 1/2 chimney and when it's fully lit, then pour it on the unlit coals. My lower vents are set to 1/2 to 1/8 open (1/2 for the 18, 1/8 for the 22) and the top vent wide open. Once the cooker is set up I walk away. I'll check back in 20 minutes to adjust the vents if needed.

You might use less charcoal for an 18, but the ratios work. Run your cooker with the full loaded at charcoal at the beginning. The buck or two in excess charcoal will be well worth giving you a point of reference.

Also, don't' use the access door. Using heat gloves/oven mitts and pick up the entire unit to access the charcoal if needed. This will keep the heat on he food.

Lastly, don't over adjust. 50 degrees temp swing is OK and some argue is good for cooking. Your WSM will likely cook hotter than the lid thermometer - by 25 - 50 degrees. A cheap oven thermometer is great to put on the grate. Take note of it any time you open the lid, but only open the lid when absolutely necessary.

I have the 18 thanks for the ratios i am gonna try the minion method i kinda figures it would take awhile for it to setup but great tip about the smoke really excited about this hope it turns out well

ok diner is done. peppers were awsome did some with crabmeat some without. Wrapped those in bacon. Hens were beautiful unbelievably juicy but i had to finish them up in the oven at 350 for 45min. smoked with just a few piece of applewoood 275 degrees at the vent for 2 hrs. 4 birds and 20 10 peppers. thanks again guys this is just the begining

You betcha it's just the beginning. Don't be afraid to open the vents with poultry and don't over think it. I think 275 is kind of slow for poultry, so you compensated. Peppers sound really good. The thing is pretty much bullet proof. WFO is not too hot for poultry and you can dial back depending. Loin ribs take some higher temps so I recommend you play with those and see how to stretch out the fire. Goes forever real slow. Does sound like you got a pretty good handle on it though. Nice :D