Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reed422

Trout

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I don't understand why people trash stocked trout so much. I made some last night that were outstanding. You really can't do much to it because the taste is so subtle but if you go minimal the results are excellent. I know people like smoking them, I've never tried it. I have had wild trout and I realize it has more flavor but the stockies are still delicious in my book!

In other news, first cast of the year caught my fish and two hours later no bites. I better hang up my gear and wait for next season :o

I don't understand why people trash stocked trout so much. I made some last night that were outstanding. You really can't do much to it because the taste is so subtle but if you go minimal the results are excellent. I know people like smoking them, I've never tried it. I have had wild trout and I realize it has more flavor but the stockies are still delicious in my book!

In other news, first cast of the year caught my fish and two hours later no bites. I better hang up my gear and wait for next season :o

I am very disappointed in you. You may as well eat a dog turd in meuniere as compare a stocked liver pellet eater to a wild fish....

I am very disappointed in you. You may as well eat a dog turd in meuniere as compare a stocked liver pellet eater to a wild fish....

Tastes like trout to me. Not that I have knowingly eaten dog turd. I have been to a lot of questionable chinese food joints so who knows.

One my favorite foods is pan fried native small brookies. of course it is harder and harder to find them now.. :(

I tried a freshly stocked trout once (20 yrs ago) and the minute I opened it, it smelled of liver.. :upck:

I think if the stocked fish is in the water for a while, then that liver taste goes away. How long, I do not know..

I've never really noticed a liver smell with our stocked trout. With that said though after opening weekend I've had enough. Caught some at a hatchery a couple weeks ago and quite honestly it was the best trout I ever had. The hatchery raises them for table fare so maybe thats why.

I've never really noticed a liver smell with our stocked trout. With that said though after opening weekend I've had enough. Caught some at a hatchery a couple weeks ago and quite honestly it was the best trout I ever had. The hatchery raises them for table fare so maybe thats why.

Yeah mine was delicious no liver smell. I did a wet brine for 30 minutes. Then I dredged in flour with some pepper. Fried in clarified butter until just barely cooked. Mmm Mmm good!

One my favorite foods is pan fried native small brookies. of course it is harder and harder to find them now.. :(

I tried a freshly stocked trout once (20 yrs ago) and the minute I opened it, it smelled of liver.. :upck:

I think if the stocked fish is in the water for a while, then that liver taste goes away. How long, I do not know..

I catch ( and release) a lot of trout and salmon every year. I whacked two trout last year- both wild brook trout, mmm, mmm good. The first one, we were driving on the Golden Road to the West Branch of the Penobscot and a grouse started crossing the road. I clipped him with the front differential, picked him up and threw him in the back ofthe truck. Later that afternoon, we decided we needed WB surf& turf, so I caught and killed a 12" brookie. Breasted out the grouse and cooked both in a cast iron skillet over an open fire with butter, salt and pepper.

Last fall, I killed a brook trout that was laden with eggs, after the caviar, she was fried in butter with salt and pepper on cast iron over an open fire.

You know, this place needs more love for cast iron.

Oh jeez... y'all know how many decades have past since trout hatcheries have feed liver???

PURINA TROUT CHOW

FISH FEED (GROWER)

SIZE 3

Min. Crude Protein ................................................40.0%

Min. Crude Fat....................................................9.0%

Max. Crude Fiber..................................................5.0%

Calcium, actual....................................................1.3%

Phosphorus, actual..................................................1.0%

Salt, actual........................................................1.0%

Max. Ash........................................................10.0%

Max. Added Minerals.................................................1.5% Min. I.U. Vitamin A................................................5500/kg

INGREDIENTS

Fish, meal, soybean meal, wheat middlings, ground yellow corn, diced whey, soybean oil, dried yeast, dehydrated alfalfa meal, corn gluten meal, calcium carbonate, salt, ethoxyquin (a preservative), vitamin A supplement, D activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D-3), menadione sodium bisulfite ( source of vitamin K activity), vitamin B-12 supplement, asscorbic acid, biotin, choline chloride, folic acide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, copper sulfate, iodate, cobalt carbonate, zinc sulfate.

Yeah no liver, BFD... Have you ever smelled purina trout chow?

I catch ( and release) a lot of trout and salmon every year. I whacked two trout last year- both wild brook trout, mmm, mmm good. The first one, we were driving on the Golden Road to the West Branch of the Penobscot and a grouse started crossing the road. I clipped him with the front differential, picked him up and threw him in the back ofthe truck. Later that afternoon, we decided we needed WB surf& turf, so I caught and killed a 12" brookie. Breasted out the grouse and cooked both in a cast iron skillet over an open fire with butter, salt and pepper.

Last fall, I killed a brook trout that was laden with eggs, after the caviar, she was fried in butter with salt and pepper on cast iron over an open fire.

You know, this place needs more love for cast iron.

Who talks trash about cast iron? They are great!

PURINA TROUT CHOW

FISH FEED (GROWER)

SIZE 3

Min. Crude Protein ................................................40.0%

Min. Crude Fat....................................................9.0%

Max. Crude Fiber..................................................5.0%

Calcium, actual....................................................1.3%

Phosphorus, actual..................................................1.0%

Salt, actual........................................................1.0%

Max. Ash........................................................10.0%

Max. Added Minerals.................................................1.5% Min. I.U. Vitamin A................................................5500/kg

INGREDIENTS

Fish, meal, soybean meal, wheat middlings, ground yellow corn, diced whey, soybean oil, dried yeast, dehydrated alfalfa meal, corn gluten meal, calcium carbonate, salt, ethoxyquin (a preservative), vitamin A supplement, D activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D-3), menadione sodium bisulfite ( source of vitamin K activity), vitamin B-12 supplement, asscorbic acid, biotin, choline chloride, folic acide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, copper sulfate, iodate, cobalt carbonate, zinc sulfate.

Yeah no liver, BFD... Have you ever smelled purina trout chow?

They taste good man, when was the last time you had a trout? Maybe its those 4 eyed maine stockies that taste like ****.

Who talks trash about cast iron? They are great!

They taste good man, when was the last time you had a trout? Maybe its those 4 eyed maine stockies that taste like ****.

The last time I had a trout was in September. I do not buy farm raised fish, period ( except for Ducktrap Smoked Salmon- no choice there). If I am going to eat a trout, it will a wild fish that I caught.

The last time I had a trout was in September. I do not buy farm raised fish, period ( except for Ducktrap Smoked Salmon- no choice there). If I am going to eat a trout, it will a wild fish that I caught.

Do you ever eat sushi?