Shimano super Aero Titanium?

Rate this topic

Prionotus Tribulus

Rapid can you explain more , on most all other high end JDM reels the only difference I have seen between the super aero and the power aero is indeed a dragged spool. whats different in this reel ?

That's not actually true. My engineering skills are rivaled only by those of a caveman but I will relay an experience to try and explain. Two and half years ago I started testing shimano's long cast reels for them to determine which ones would be best suited for our uses. As you know most are originally released in Japan and the released in Europe and elsewhere. Anyway since we weren't dealing with a shimano USA product it involved myself and people from shimano USA discussing the reels with the engineers in Japan. My japanglish is pretty good but somehow there was a screw up and the first four reels I received to test were all the non dragged version. I thought the same thing at the time that was asked here can't I just put a dragged spool on the reel and it will be fine. Trying to hurry things along I just requested the spools no need to send a whole new reel. We went back and forth and ultimately ended up with the head design engineer for all of shimano to figure out if this would work. Long story short he told me it would not work that the reels were different internally. He gave me a much longer version and explanation in a translated email. I am on my way to block island for some testing now but if you'd like when I get back I can try and dig up the email with the explanation. Suffice to say if the guy who actually created the reel tells me it won't work I took his word for it.

"The club tournaments are NOT the problem, in fact the clubs are part of the solution, helping to organize us recreational fishermen.
It's the - kill every one I catch, the lookymee tackle shop video guys, and especially the charter boats, that are the real problem on the rec side." Sudsy
"I object to fishing tournaments less for what they do to fish than to fisherman. They have invaded one of the last refuges of civilized man, transmuted a noble art into something it isn't and shouldn't be... To speak nothing of the repulsive butchery and waste." - Ted Williams

Conn I am jogging my memory here and ill try to find the email when I get back. If my memory serves and it rarely does part of the issue was that the main shaft on the drag less reels was different as it was designed to hold a fixed spool and wouldn't accept a dragged spool additionally because the spool doesn't have a drag the reel doesn't have an anti reverse gear if I remember correctly. Like I said this was just my experience and what I was told

"The club tournaments are NOT the problem, in fact the clubs are part of the solution, helping to organize us recreational fishermen.
It's the - kill every one I catch, the lookymee tackle shop video guys, and especially the charter boats, that are the real problem on the rec side." Sudsy
"I object to fishing tournaments less for what they do to fish than to fisherman. They have invaded one of the last refuges of civilized man, transmuted a noble art into something it isn't and shouldn't be... To speak nothing of the repulsive butchery and waste." - Ted Williams

I sent this thread and some questions to the head of Shimano's product development. His answer is below. It makes sense why Conn thought they were interchangeable. The reels I originally started testing were first introduced in Japan in 2007 so it explains why those weren't interchangeable

Matt,

Picture resolution is too bad to read.

However I know the reel and we cannot change the spool to a dragged spool.

You know "SUPER AERO(=SA)" is no drag and "POWER AERO (=PA)" is drag model.

We have made interchangeable models since 2009.

So current SA and PA models are interchangeable. Of course, some parts are necessary to change them though.

I hope this helps you.

Atsushi

Okay, thanks for the tip. I read the rules - some pretty strict rules there. Not sure if I understand why you have to post 15 topics before being able to sell something - I see this merely as making it unnecessarily difficult for the laws of supply and demand to work. I have been a very active member on some other sites where anybody can sell or buy stuff after registering and I see nothing negative about that procedure: it just makes it easier for everybody  - and benefits both the seller and the ones possibly interested in buying.

Anyway, if these are the rules I guess we´ll have to settle for those. I´ll post some photos of the reel anyway and maybe someone has an opinion about - knows what year it was made and so forth.

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.

That´s the reel that I´ve had in my closet for some years now. Anyone know what year it was made - and what could be the more precise model name?

It just say Super Aero Technium everywhere. Came with 2 extra spools and a few other things. Would be a perfect reel with a drag - it seems really strange

that Shimano made reels without drag system - even if they were supposed to be used in casting competitions. A bit strange competition also - kind of like

having a ski race where the winner is the one who gets to the top of the mountain fastest, instead of the one who skis it down fastest... :)

Jaakko

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Even if they fit I think at least for the reel I have it doesn´t change anything: the bolt that attaches to the spool is permanently locked.

I think to be able to use a spool with drag you would have to have some kind of mechanism to make that bolt to spin. There just isn´t any.

Somebody said in this thread earlier that since 2009 the models without a drag system and the ones with a drag have interchangeable spools - and

both have the drag system ability built inside. Or that´s at least how I understood it.

With this button and new spool will be Quck drag brake. Besides the spool You need to get the normal drag knob. Can you take a picture without a spool, to see the back end of the spool shaft? I wonder also whether it is possible to rework existing spools . . .

You‘re at the mercy of whatever talent you have

With what button? The switch you see at the back side of the reel has two positions: regular and reverse. Neither of those has any affects on the movement of the spool. It just changes the direction of the reeling action.

I can take the photo, I´ll try to post it latest by tomorrow.