Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sams

LMB help

13 posts in this topic

I stopped by a local pond and saw some nice bass today, but could not get a bite. The pond is small, probably less than an acre. And surrounded by rocks on 1 side and a retaining wall on the other three. All the fish were spread out between 2 or 3 shallow spots at the sunny end of the pond. They were all sitting in the middle to upper half of the 3 to 4 foot deep water. Also there were very Close to the wall and all the fish were facing it. I sat and watched for a while and didn't see any fish make a move to feed or cozy up to one of the bigguns (whom I am guessing were females).

I tossed a gold spoon (all I had with me) with no luck. I dragged it right in front of a few fish and didn't even get them to move on it at all. They pretty much just sunk down and eased off. The fish never really moved aggressively for anything.

How do I get these sluggish bass to eat?

Sam

Got to fish the bait slower. Water could be still cold for them to want to eat. They are up sunbathing in the warmer water becuase its warmer water. But I would try a very slow retrieve. Maybe toss a jig and work slow.

5" Swimbait with 5/0 weighted swimbait hook. I'm using the Berkley Powerbait Swimbait ones now in gizzard shad color. I don't think the bass care about brand or color. I switched to the swimbait after I was schooled by a 14 year with swimbaits. He had me 4:1 while I was throwing Zoom Flukes. I bought those hollow swimbaits and hook system the next day..lol...I'll be making molds when I get back home. I'm a believer.

Went back at luinch today and got one on the first cast and then nothing. Any idea why the fish were all packed up in the shallows at lunch on Monday and and I only saw one fish at the same time today? Weather conditions were pretty much the same. Wind was 180 off Monday.

Sam

Fished a similar situation last weekend (bass tight to a rock wall). I cast a soft plastic (baby brush hog) on top of the wall and slowly let it fall into the water. Then I cast the soft plastic against the wall and let it rebound into the water. That got their attention and got a nice hookup.

around me they are already getting ready to bed...so i assume thats what they are doing by you...if so, leave 'um alone...

Some of the waters I fish are known for a notoriously early spawn, and the rapid warming lately has definitely driven some bass to start. Saw many a large female cruising around not interested in anything I threw, including a desperation live sunny. I just stay away from those waters for a while.

Some of the waters I fish are known for a notoriously early spawn, and the rapid warming lately has definitely driven some bass to start. Saw many a large female cruising around not interested in anything I threw, including a desperation live sunny. I just stay away from those waters for a while.

its a personal decision, but i dont like to take fish that are bedding, just like I dont like to mess with hold over stripers..............to each his own.

its a personal decision, but i dont like to take fish that are bedding, just like I dont like to mess with hold over stripers..............to each his own.

:th: :th: :th: :th: