Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boscoebrea

Reel talk,I know reels,what I know is

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Some of the old Penns and such can cast a loooong ways and also hold plenty of line and if you know which ones to get there is only a small weight penalty....now if you have the nerve and know how you can get a Newell and have the best of both worlds,alas Newwell cost a lot...

So for a cheap well built ,long casting and plenty of line capacity get a used Penn,could be a Squidder,or a Jig Master or one of those 209,...don't matter,clean it ,maybe put some "smooth drags" in it and lube it right,uh there U go.

Now there is always the easy way,just get a good spinner reel and be done with it,

I took me years to start using open face reels for long casting ,but once you get the hang of it ,my spinning reels are gather dust...

Mags are nice,put my thumb is my mag when it come to using the Penns and Newells....anyhow enough 4 reel talk..

What reel do recommend for bank fishing of the delta, san luis resevior, and surf? I need a reel that will suit a gloomis 9'ft salmon rod that's durable and can cast far for using bait or lures.

What reel do recommend for bank fishing of the delta, san luis resevior, and surf? I need a reel that will suit a gloomis 9'ft salmon rod that's durable and can cast far for using bait or lures.

ABU 6000C is what I would use on it.

ABU 6000C is what I would use on it.
I would have to AGREE with Dan!!!....What the HELL does "415" know about catching Sturgeon!!!!.....Ohhhhhh....WAIT!!!....I might have that BACKWARDS!!!.....Mark

Wild Blue Yonder of course. Just dandy for anything but big sturgs! .

I own a Jigmaster with a stainless steel spool and there is no way that reel can touch the distance of a 525. Many years ago I used to cast Penns with 6 oz weights but the magged reels I own today far outperfom them. Not that you can't make a nice cast with an educated thumb and a nice stick using a non-magged reel. You just can't match the performance of a 525 with a similar stick.

I own a Jigmaster with a stainless steel spool and there is no way that reel can touch the distance of a 525. Many years ago I used to cast Penns with 6 oz weights but the magged reels I own today far outperfom them. Not that you can't make a nice cast with an educated thumb and a nice stick using a non-magged reel. You just can't match the performance of a 525 with a similar stick.

True!

I use my Jigmasters when on the boat for bouncing big jigs off the bottom. Just what a Jigmaster was designed for.

cool, i need a reel that will hold 300yrds of 30lb mono, cast 6-8and bait a loooong ways and have the drag to stop a hard charging soupfin. ... im almost thinking of fixing my 113H. i could cast that with 8oz and bait pretty damn far.

cool, i need a reel that will hold 300yrds of 30lb mono, cast 6-8and bait a loooong ways and have the drag to stop a hard charging soupfin. ... im almost thinking of fixing my 113H. i could cast that with 8oz and bait pretty damn far.
Buy an Alvey!!!!....it's casts sooooooooooooo FAR...you'll be fishing Catalina Island from the beach.....Mark

113H? Naw. Send it to me for deep dropping for Halibut. I have four, a long distance casting reel they are not.

If you can master one, the Alvey would work great. Otherwise I would use one of my 7000 ABU's.

ht100's in the C3 should stop a legal dino, no?

A "legal dino" meaning 46"? Yeah you could probably whip one of them with that. But a high slot fish I'd be a little concerned about getting spooled. Oversized is out of the question IMO. If you have one to loan me I'll hook up a nice dino on it and let you know how it goes :D