Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CcCstriper89

Fly Fishing help

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I know there is a forum for this but I wanted to talk to some local guys not guys from all over the coast. I have gone out a couple times and begun fly fishing for the first time this year.

I have some trouble with casting technique. I have been able to catch sunfish with ten or 15 foot casts but I false cast a lot more than I think I should have to and mess up casts more often then I would like to and feel like I scare away the trout or bass by the time i make a clean cast :shock:

I would love to meet up with somebody for a morning that is willing to give pointers and help me work on casting better. I have watched videos and seen guys casting from a far that has helped me out some but I just don't personally know anybody that fly fishes. Anyone want to fish a morning and give some pointers in the area; maybe at Hopkinton Reservoir? I don't need help finding or catching fish just learning casting technique and being told what I am doing wrong.

I have a 9 ft Redington 5 weight I was using but i closed the top guide in my screen door:o I have not got that rod fixed yet I just swapped the Redington reel over to an older fly rod I have its an 8'6 mh and it says #6 or 7 line on the handle. I think it might be a 6 or even 7 weight? Not to sure how to tell since I got it second hand and at a yard sale and am still learning about fly rods and reels. I am going to have a new guide put on my 5 weight soon though so for general purposes I will say 5 or 6 weight.

You may want to take a lesson from a Certified Fly Casting Instructor. Places like the Bear's Den in Taunton or Trout Unlimited should know who to contact in your area. Fly casting does require some work on proper technique and an instructor can help you work out the mechanics.

the bears den, in taunton, has an indoor casting area and two (2) certified, master fly casting instructors, who offer lessons regularly, and they take aspiring fly casters out on wednesday (i think) evenings to fish.

they have a web site you can check out to learn the details.

I started last year myself, mostly saltwater. I mess around in he freshwater a little. Do a search for clubs in your area. I was going to crossroads fly club in Foxborough, but due to my schedule I am not doing it this year. You can meet up with some nice helpful people, who may help you along. Or like said, the Bears Den in Taunton. You can search You tube for some ideas for different casts, like roll casting and what not. Good luck, I would say i would meet up..but I myself am a NewB.

another thing to consider is, bass pro shop offers free fly casting lessons.

not sure when they will starting, but they do it in the evenings.

they aren't necessarily certified instructors but, rather, experienced fly casters, they are very helpful, and the price is right.

you can bring your own rod, or they will set you up with one.

last year i started fly casting again, after a 45 year lay off, and was having a heck of a time, i was so rusty, it was almost embarrassing.

i am a self taught caster, started about age 10 - 12 and fly fished exclusively until i was 20, then put it down until last year.

a friend told me about the lessons, and i went twice, both times a different instructor, and both of them helped, by showing me things i did not know.

if you were using a 5 wt, you may need to get a line for yoiu 6/7 wt rod, a stiffer rod won't cast a lighter line as well.

from personal experience, make sure your line is on the correct direction. a "weight forward" fly line should be thicker and heavier towards the fly end, and thinner where it attaches to the backing. Its very frustrating trying to cast it backwards.

Thanks for the replies. I will have to take a look I suppose at a couple of the classes mentioned. I work 2-10 shift in the afternoons during the week though that is mainly why I was looking to see if anybody was interested in taking some casts with me on a nice morning. I will get back with some photos if I end up learning well enough to hook into fish other than bluegills:D

i'm still used to casting my surf rod the fly rod is something i need to get used to out in the open where there are no disruptions. i find it very hard transitioning into this new casting technique and i could also use help if anyone is willing to gimme some lessons too..

If the rods a 7 and the line on the reel is a 5, your going to have problems loading the rod to throw the line for sure.

Certainly not easy to get the feel of casting a fly line for a newcomer to the sport.

Whatever the ratings you need to have it equal or have the line one up from the rod. As a beginner I'd have them

match up for your best chance of grabbing the learning curve.

Also think about the fact that both are really not recommended for NE Saltwater applications. Besides the fact the

fish your after are too large (except small schoolies, cocktail blues), you're going to have to deal with wind and the need

to cast flies to heavy for a 5 or 6 weight. Clousers, large deceivers, Crease flies, poppers, etc.

You can get away with poking around with smaller gear but if you want to get into it I'd suggest an 8-9 wt. set up. JMO

All you have to do is watch "A River Runs Through It" specifically the scene where the old man teaches the kids casting with a metronome... And I am only half joking here, I taught myself to fly fish and in the begining I would keep count just like in the movie, I am by no means an expert caster but I don't "slap" the water with my line as much anymore... Fly fishing is an art it is so different than "power fishing" for large mouth or even stripers, I had to retrain my brain and muscles to finesse everything when it came to fly fishing. Good luck and tight lines.

cccstriper89

tell you what, if you want, i'll meet up with you, and give you some instruction.

i don't know where hopkinton reservoir is, but if you know where beaver pond, in franklin, is i could meet you there, some morning next week, on a tuesday, wednesday or thursday.

just pm me and we can go from there.

bob