Reel comparison Penn battle 6000 vs Shimano Spheros 8000

Rate this topic

NJTramcar

I have read good and bad on both. I am looking for feedback from anyone here that may have used these reels. I am using them for surf fishing using metals, bucktails, and plugs, not bait.

Two people who I trust have each recommended one of these.

Here are the specs for both.

SHIMANO SPHEROS 8000

Model: SP8000FA

Line Capacity (# Test/Yards): 10/39 -0, 12/320, 14/270, 16/220, 20/160

Line Retrieve Per Crank (in.): 35

Max Drag (lbs.): 20.5

Ball Bearings: 3BB+1RB

Gear: 4.7:1

Ratio Weight (oz) : 19.8

PENN BATTLE 6000

Model: BTL6000

Mono Cap. (yds/lb): 320/15 •280/17 • 220/20

Braid Cap. (yds/lb): 445/30 • 365/40 • 310/50

Bearings: 6+1

Max Drag :20 lbs

Gear Ratio:5:6:1

Line Retrieve (in): 39

Weight (oz): 21.8

IMO, the Spheros is a better quality reel on the inside however it is more $. Also, the braid handling ability of the Spheros is top notch. There is a factory available manual bail kit that really makes the reel an ideal lower end surf reel too. The Battle has been getting more than decent reviews here just wish the internals were better.

The entry level gears in Shimano reels are really very decent. Plus you can choose another model with even better quality internals if you desire. They have two tiers of quality in a sense for the average consumer. Penn has the same poor quality gears in a $59 fierce, $109 Battle, $139 slammer and a $209 conquer. That will never win me over this way. You can buy a Battle main gear for $4.00 retail. I mean really, how much is this costing them to make???

I just compared these reels, but in a smaller size. By the way, I'm planning on using it for the same thing as you and I'm thinking you may be looking at too big a reel. What size rod are you putting it on. I went for the battle because with the 4000 I could get 275 ft of 20 lb braid on a 12 oz reel and it has a strong drag, so my set up is very light, but I still thought the Spheros was nicer, all else being equal.

I used both these reels last fall/winter on the beach. They both got their fair share of dunking (lots sand and salt) every day. Both needed to be service several times during the season. The battle came through it with just cleaning and greasing. The shimano's gears were cooked. I now own a VS, but I also own several battles, IMO they are well worth the money.  

I used both these reels last fall/winter on the beach. They both got their fair share of dunking (lots sand and salt) every day. Both needed to be service several times during the season. The battle came through it with just cleaning and greasing. The shimano's gears were cooked. I now own a VS, but I also own several battles, IMO they are well worth the money.  

You only got one year out of the Shimano?

I can't comment on the exact sizes you are interested in but I own a

Penn Battle 4000 and a Spheros 4000FB

If I had to choose one out of the package it would be the battle. It doesn't win by much but some key points for me is it doesn't feel so plasticy on the outside, a little cheaper, and the drag. I have serviced the spheros twice and its really easy to do. I only purchased the battle 1 month ago so its only got 2 weeks of fishing on it but it already has a few fish from 15-18lbs and it handled them with ease.

From what I know the spheroes changes internaly based on the size not sure on the battle.

(*member formerly known as 'JohnB.')

penn still can't get the line lay right..they might have it down on the torque , but the battle and fierce leaves a lot to be desired.

Is that still going on? I saw that in earlier reviews but not recently. I had asked about this in the Penn Forum but did not hear much about it.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/840547/penn-battle-6000#post_9083483