Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Anyone know about duck decoys?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Recent carving. Not vintage. Decorative decoy. Good for the mantle. Not famous.......yet.

Value: Wait oh, say 100 years from now and then you may have something valuable.

The ones fetching big bucks now are Elmer Crowell, John Williams, and as always Mason decoy company. Those have been standards throughout time and will remain that way.

Another sleeper decoy maker(for show) is Arnold Melbye from so. Yarmouth,ma.

There is a gent named Robert Elderid,East Dennis,ma. that has auctioned off a few for big bucks. 2-300,000 bucks

Just a heads up. Some makers make miniatures and they are worth big bucks as well.

I had a friend that lived in N.J. and went into a second hand shop and talked down the lady for a pair of book ends with male and female duck heads. The guy walked out with a pair for thirteen bucks and they were made by**** A.E.Crowell**** East Harwich,Ma.and he knew they were worth over 1oo,ooo bucks.

Back when I had hair with color I worked for a older gent that had a house in Harwich,Ma. and able to see in his garage(open door) and saw his cork decoys and started up a conversation with him and he seemed crabby because of a deal that happened with Elmer Crowell's son. It seems that his son pestered this guy until he sold a dozen Crowell (working) goose decoys for 125 bucks. Each bird was worth over 1,00,000 bucks.

Know wonder he was a little crabby

I know someone who has a bunch of decoys they collected in the 50's to 70's. It includes several Crowells. About 10 years ago they got robbed. The guy passed on the decoys and took their TV.

Numbskull I think you live on Cape. If so check your local old time banks and see if they have any miniatures on display. I think cc5 cents savings might have or did have miniatures on display

Was a guy in Wakefield Ma. Pat Paterson that made them. Hand carved out of butterwood. He worked in a machine shop in the day and would carve at night ,sometimes . His decoy's went for some big bucks.The decoy's looked real. Everyone told him to carve for a livin. I believe there is a antique book out there that tells you the prices that they are worth.