Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
biggstriper

Swivels and leaders for FW Bass fishing:

7 posts in this topic

I use a three foot leader of 50 lb. mono for surf fishing for Stripers because of the weight of the fish and the terrain I usually catch them at (rocky jetties, canals etc). Without using the leaders I know I would lose a lot of fish.

My spinner thread brought up the subject so I thought I'd ask about using leaders for FW fishing.

I think that since a lot of my FW fishing will take place during the day as I learn the areas I'm going to be fishing I would start using flourocarbon to disguise the line. Maybe a short leader tied to a swivel would do the trick?

I have a spool of Flouro line and I don't want to spool up an entire reel with it.

I know I'm going to start using the flouro but aren't sure about using swivels.

Thoughts?

You'll get different opinions about leaders. For me it depends on what type of lures I'm using. The only leaders I use for bass fishing are when using a Carolina rig, generally 20 lb test and I use a swivel inline with this rig. My main line is braid. For jigs I don't use any type of leader, and use braid tied directly to the jig, even hi vis yellow. I don't feel that whether or not the fish see the line is important, I don't think they know what it is & I still catch plenty of fish. Now with that said, I'm also fishing in shallow tidal creeks & rivers most of the time, so the water there is not particularly clear, and has a tannic stain to it. Plus, I'm usually fishing around a lot of structure & vegetation, not so much in open water, so I'm not casting very far usually. More pitching & flipping than anything.

I don't use fluorocarbon either, as my other line of choice is Yozuri Hybrid, which has a fluoro coating. Again, I'm not concerned about the fish seeing the line, and use this line because it has lower stretch than mono lines, better abrasion resistance than mono lines & is a bit cheaper than straight fluoro. I especially like this line for spinnerbaits & crankbaits.

I'll use either line for some types of topwater lures, spoons and both soft & hard jerkbaits. For frogs, poppers & spook type lures, I like the braid. For buzzbaits I like the Hybid. As far as swivels, the only time I use them is when fishing spoons, and with inline spinners, and I use small ball bearing types. Sometimes I'll use a snap, most times the connection is with split rings.

I do use mono/copolymer type lines on some of my lighter & ultra light spinning outfits. I've been using Ande & Silver Thread lines for many years, but these are primarily what I use for panfishing.

As I said, you'll get different opinions, and some will tell you they use leaders with braids. I think it's a matter of confidence then. If you feel more confident in using a leader, then sure go ahead & use it. :)

Just tie your leader direct to your main line. Sometimes I’ll tie on 8 ft of 10lb fluorocarbon to my 8lb main line. I use a uni-to-uni knot for freshwater applications.

Mono?

Forget leaders & tie direct.

Retie often.

The last 2 or 3 years I've been using 30lb braid and have been experimenting with mono leaders & the associated knots.

Mainly to have a weak link to break when I get hopelessly hung up. 20# mono seems to be the best compromise.

3-5' leaders so far... uni to uni and alberto's albright are working.

I don't like any sort of snap swivel or barrel swivel, the more hardware the more weeds you catch.

LMB like stuff to hide in and ambush feed.

I like to fish in the thick stuff, so for me, less is more.

I always use a leader. One reason is so I don't loose several inches of braid every time I re-tie. But my leaders change according to what I'm fishing. Most of the time when fishing soft plastics and spinners I use a swivel to attached the leader to the main line; plugs no swivel. I always tie direct.

I used to only use mono leaders. This year I started using 20 lb. flouro when pickerel fishing and also caught several bass with that set-up. Now, because flouro sinks much faster, I'm experimenting with switching between the two, and between a couple different diameters, for different presentations.

Most NJ waters you will not really need flouro; I personally hate the stuff. Just please don't tie braid direct if fishing bottom bouncing baits or deep divers. You gonna end up having to cut off a ton of braid and leave it in the water for everyone else to get hung up on or get caught in someone's prop. Every year I keep migrating more of my applications to braid. For freshwater I mainly use a mono leader with braid in the 10 to 20lb range depending on what im fishing with. Never use any type of snaps or swivels always use uni to uni. Also no leaders if not using braid.