Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mainiac

Sebago pike.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Ice fishermen did well on some really big pike in the Sebago coves this winter. pike up to twenty pounds ! Regardless of your feelings on pike in Maine it's a under utilized fishery that needs to be exploited. Big pike are hard fighters,especially on the flyrod !:D

The togue also need some thinning after no ice this winter. New regulations upcoming 4/1.

Sebago Lake, and all tributaries including rivers (unless otherwise provided by special rule), Naples, etc. S-1, S-3, S-22, S-23. No bag limit for togue under 23 inches and no minimum length limit. Daily bag limit on togue greater than 33 inches: 1 fish. All togue between 23 – 33 inches must be released alive at once. Closed to all fishing within 100 feet of White’s Bridge.

Sebago sounds pretty good for pike. Hate to say that I will probably let any go that I catch, they can eat the little togue. You reading this Tobias? April sounds good!

That's interesting...does that imply that the larger Lakers are more valuable as cannibalistic predators?

Why are Pike not managed that way?

Are Pike Managed at all on sebago? Will have look it up before I go.

April looks good for me Scott

The togue also need some thinning after no ice this winter. New regulations upcoming 4/1.

Sebago Lake, and all tributaries including rivers (unless otherwise provided by special rule), Naples, etc. S-1, S-3, S-22, S-23. No bag limit for togue under 23 inches and no minimum length limit. Daily bag limit on togue greater than 33 inches: 1 fish. All togue between 23 – 33 inches must be released alive at once. Closed to all fishing within 100 feet of White’s Bridge.

This seams a bit over the top, to me but then again I like catching them with relative ease. I also like catch large fish so if this helps some fish reach maga size (over 33") I am for it but seams like this cant be a "long term" plan

Both Fish from my last ice fishing trip would of had to go back under the new law

I don't think think anybody cares about the Pike in Sebago. I'm sure most people would love to see them all dissapear from that water, just like sabattus. I remember when a 20 lber was caught in Sebago, what an uproar. I don't know how they got there and if some one put them in there well that is wrong and it would've been nice if they got caught. s2ary not sure what you mean about cannabalistic? But I'm sure the larger Togue will eat whatever they can find including other trout, no proof on that but if your hungry you eat what you can.

I think no one cares about Pike in Sabattus, never known for salmon or trout. However Sebago is the original home to the landlocked salmon and there is a lot of history there. Legal (togue) and illegal (pike) introductions have hurt the salmon there imagine a 20+ lb salmon!! Thats the lake record.The whitefish are nearly non existent as are brook trout. Most people want beautiful healthy salmon in there and until that happens all pike will be dispatched as emphatically encouraged by the ifw. Of course there is freedom of choice but there's also the choice to help fisheries stay healthy. Same reason I wouldnt take two over 28" (stripers) even though allowed in some locales.

Ok make sense to me. If I catch a pike in sabago it will not swim free. 20 lb salmon would be huge! How long have pike been in sabago anybody know?

Ok make sense to me. If I catch a pike in sabago it will not swim free. 20 lb salmon would be huge! How long have pike been in sabago anybody know?

Scott long enough for a 28lb fish taken out of there this winter and yes i saw the picture !!! The thing was huge didnt get to find out what was in the belly but I can send a text to somebody that might know

I believe they have been in there for quite a while, say 12+ years or so. The pike issue isn't going to be solved in my opinion. They have established themselves there and not enough people target them on Sebago to make any significant dent in the population. That and it's just too big of a lake to ever be certain that they have been eradicated. The salmon fishing will never be the same in that lake and that's just the sad truth. As far as my personal interest in making a futile attempt to locate and catch pike in such a large body of water, well, I have none. With that said, I am most certainly pro-kill when it comes to the pike.

Removed two pike from Sebago yesterday.oth in the twenty-two inch size. also caught a twenty inch bucket mouth and two fairly large brook trout,which was a surprise.

those went back to the lake.I saw a number of other pike and many bass in tight to shore.I also saw a couple mongo pickerel but couldn't get them to bite.Strange thing is i caught all those fish in the Muddy within a 100 yd. area.The brookies were fat and healthy,in the eighteen inch range. The took a nine inch long black clouser fished on a floating line.:confused::D