Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bassachusettes

2 Best Friends and a Van Staal

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Over the past 10 years of surf castingI have graduated from plastic wal mart reels to penn 550 and shimano saragosa and now I am finally considering buying my dream real a van Staal.

With that said I fish with my best friend and he and I promised each other that we would make the investment at the same time.

Before we make a rash purchase I wanted to ask the forum on some info and advice......

Will this reel last a lifetime?

What size? We fish the canal and some beach fronts and jettis stripers and blues 1 to 5 oz usually

Pros and cons of bail vs bailess?

Are they worth the money?

Where should we buy?

Is it versatile?

Thanks so much for you help!

Can't wait to start fishing!!!!!!!!!

As someone that owns a couple Van Staals if you aren't going to be swimming or at least consistently submerging there are better reels out there for the money. I personally would go with a Stella and that is what I use in the canal or if I'm in an area I won't be swimming or keeping my reel underwater. If you are intent on a Van Staal probably a 250 would be the direction I would lean towards, and yes they will last but still need to be serviced just like anything else.

The VS is a surf reel, canal reel, boat reel, and anything else reel. It does not cast the furthest, it is not the smoothest, it can have issues like all reels, but it's a surf reel that can get blasted with sand, dunked, sunked, and hammered but it never skips a beat. Why does everyone love the 706 by penn because it's bailless. What is the first thing guys do to 704's? Well they drill them out like a VS and then put a bailless kit on. Takes about two weeks to get used too and then you will ask yourself why you wasted all the money on shimano's and daiwas. The original warranty and service policy was great but the new policy is tough on the budget.

They're good reels, but they're not bombproof. No reel is. Any one of them can break, no matter how well they're made or how much they cost.

I know two SOL members who've had total main gear failure on Van Staals. Neither post very often.

The model I would suggest for all around beach/Canal fishing is the 275. You'll appreciate the faster line pick up when cranking your lure in, when you fish the Canal. It's a 300 sized spool on a 250 body. I believe that it only comes in the bail-less version.

By far the thing I dislike the most about my VS is that it occupies the same spot for me as a few guitars I own. When times get tough financially I'm eyeing them to make up some of the slack.

They're nice. I do like mine. I got very lucky and found mine at a heavily discounted price. Had it not been that price I can't ever see myself buying one.

For the money I'd still be more inclined to pick up some older reels like Penns and Mitchells and refurb and pack them with grease. I much prefer seeing one of those behind me on my roof rack when I go into get a cup of coffee at 2 AM.

I have a few VS reels. They are a simple design and easy to self service. I would take my VS over any other reel. I would not buy another one new, BST is the way to go.