Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pwf

beach launch question for the hobie people.

12 posts in this topic

So how do you guys deal with the launch? Today was my first day taking out my new outback. I went down to a boat ramp, walked it out until I could put the drive in then sort of turned onto its side to get the cart out. I was just taking it out in the bay to test it. My interest lies in the ocean.

As I was taking it down the paved, still boat ramp I realized the beach would be a different animal. I need some tips for taking it in through he surf. Seems like with the waves, I wont have the "calm" to get that cart out. Also how do you all deal with putting the drive in before taking it into the surf. Just looking for a few tips to avoid getting sand in the chain of the drive. I'm experienced in the ocean, been surfing for 30 years. Just want to shorten the learning curve with the kayak fishing. Any tips you'd share would very much appreciated.

Side note -this thing is a cruiser. trolled under the Rt 90 bridge behind OC, MD for about 3 hours today, so comfortable and manageable with two rods.

Thanks -PF

I saw on another site most guys leash the drive system and keep it out for launch and landing. Use the bungee to hold it still in the cockpit or on the front hatch. Just go out with the paddle through the shore break. This sounds like a good idea. Any better?

You kinda answered your question. If its not rough you can launch and land with one pedal held or bungeed back so the fins hug the bottom of the yak. Keep the rudder up getting in and out. I remove the cart on the beach and store it before entering the water.

If I know the surf is ruff I set up the drive at my car. I just put the front of the yak on the tailgate, pop it in and leash it back so the fins are against the hull. As far as the wheels, I do as stated above, take them off just prior to entering the water.

If I know the surf is ruff I set up the drive at my car. I just put the front of the yak on the tailgate, pop it in and leash it back so the fins are against the hull. As far as the wheels, I do as stated above, take them off just prior to entering the water.

But don't you get a bunch of sand in the drive? Chain and rotation points etc?

I typically have it leashed and strapped down below my feet and legs. This way I don’t snap a fin or the peddle stem on the landing. It also keeps the peddles out of the way for a quick entry and exit.

The wheels come off on the dry sand.

If there is absolutely no surf I will leave the drive in place. I don’t worry about the sand that will be gone by the time you exit the surf zone.

I have a boat ramp next to me and i just wheel my Outback over and it slides off my homemade cart. I have a scupper hole cart also but i don't like to use it. Ocean yakking, i just take the scupper cart off (the only time i use it) right at the edge of the surf and put the mirage drive on the seat and walk it out to knee deep location, wala done .( In reality, go around in circles in above ground pool the size of a large hot tub, only negatives scenery and sometimes damaging bottom with anchor)

But don't you get a bunch of sand in the drive? Chain and rotation points etc?

Not really a problem, if the drive is dry the sand doesn't stick. I don't drag the drive through the sand, it's up in the air whith the cart wheels at the back. If any sand does accumulate it quickly washes away once it's in the water.

I do the same as pwf. I secure the drive and after making it through the surf zone, I slide forward reach in the hatch and in goes the drive. Coming in I take out the drive secure it and come on in. I fish SOCO RI a great deal and keeping it in would do more damage than good. The last thing you want to do is get the fins jammed in the sand while in the drive. I bet you can really cause damage to the hull that way. You might have the paddle in your hand a minute but the rest of the time is peddle power!

It is a far better to have several tactics and employ the proper one for each situation than it is to become perfect at only one. Be flexible, its why you got a yak in the first place. Sometimes the surf is big, sometimes its windy, sometimes I use my Hullavators sometimes I just toss the revo across the bars. Drive in sometimes, drive tethered on other times is OK, sometimes I leave it in the truck ;) .

Thanks guys, I hear you on the be flexible. And the don't over stress the sand. I'll still try to avoid sand on moving parts... I wash down my jeep underside religiously after using on beach. Which is a lot. So I'll do the same with the mirage drive. Pretty psyched to get out Sat. am before the surf picks up. Water is warm here (MD oceanside) I'd say easy low 50's