Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

First carp on the fly? You make the call

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

No pics...but anyway, I took a ride late this morning to an urban Boston area river where I had seen many carp mulling around yesterday, thinking maybe I could get a chance at some site fishing for them. I went down armed with a 5 wt and a two piece leader of 25 Lb mono and 15 lb flouro and decided to throw an olive wooly bugger around.

I was going to tie up some 'bread' flies and throw it amongst some 'chummed' bread, but decided to just drift some of these wooly buggers in their face. After getting snubbed for the better part of 20 minutes (despite numerous visuals on carp), I was finally on...I let my fly drift into a batch of 4-5 fish, the fly disappeared and it was off to the races. It took a good 10 minutes to land that fish, although there was never any truly long runs (was never in my backing). It was basically a tug of war where the fish would take about 50 ft of line, then I would get him in close only to have this process repeat itself over a number of times.

Finally the fish was whipped and I walked it from a seawall type of area over to a dock where I could go down and grab him...and I succesfully landed the 10-12 lb fish....However, it turns out the fish was hooked about 2-3" behind the mouth and I had no way of knowing whether this a 'swing and miss' foul hook or if the fish never had any intentions of hitting....When it comes to stripers, blues and albies, I have no problem acknowledging the catch given that I believe I triggered a reaction by the fish to go after the fly/lure...but conversely, I also flyfish for landlock salmon during their fall runs up from some local reservoirs and it's also a visual game where the fish are not always interested - and I never count those foul hooked fish as a 'catch'.

So you make the call...LOL:-D

PS - it's fun to see how much attention you draw whenever you catch a fish larger than a perch in an area crowded with recreation walkers/joggers and tourist...LOL

I got the bread flies and had a go at the carp in a local ornamental pond

when I still was allowed to fish there.

Carp would patrol the edges of the pond and feed on whatever they eat just a

feet or so from the bank.

When a carp would come nearby I would let the breadfly slowly sink in front

of them and watch what happened.

I never came further as one take where the carp spat out the fly before

I could set the hook.

Some of the locals around here are very good at catching Carp.

I am not, and I rather fish flowing waters ... stil got the bread flies though :)

I've still yet to catch carp on the fly but i've always wanted too, in a spot around here there are huge carp they have to be 15lbs+, i've only seen carp that big never anything smaller, along with what loook to be 10lb koi fish? theyre bright orange and spotted black, we think that someone released them after they got to big or we sometimes joke they're gold fish lol. We always throw flies at em but they never even look.

When a carp would come nearby I would let the breadfly slowly sink in front

of them and watch what happened.

I never came further as one take where the carp spat out the fly before

I could set the hook.

Marcel - As a kid, decades ago, I grew up on Loch Raven Reservoir not too far from Baltimore MD. Loaded with carp. On several occasions I'd sneak up very close to the carp and lower a morsel right in front of his nose. I'd be on high alert and ready for instant action... but still, I'd see the bait get sucked in, then I'd see him spit it out a nano-second later, way before I could possible react to set the hook.. How they were able to do react faster than I could is beyond me.

Albacized,the fight was'nt what it could be cuz they water is still cool.When it gets into the upper 60's and up they fight is much better!

You need to see the take for it to work.Casting blind gives what happened to you.That'd be a foulhook.

Find fish feeding and cast 18" to either side of their face.Never make a fly swim towards a carp,they'll bolt.Twitch but don't over work it to get their attention.You will be able to tell by the body language when they see your fly as the fins will stand up as they advance on the fly.Wait'll they tip on it,they'll often "sniff" it before taking it(make sure you rub fly in mud after tying on to minimize your scent) so don't get itchy and set too soon.When the fish takes you'll see a flare of the gills as the fly is sucked in.The take is very delicate and if you wait to feel it you'll miss it.

A foul-hook. To get it done "fair", I need some questions answered first. Detailed description of the wooly-bugger ?

Size, and materials on it. How deep was the pod of carp ? What were they doing ? Just sitting there in a pod ? Did they see you prior to you backing up and casting to them ?

You need to be able to see the dynamics of the "take" and the carp's "body-language" and behavior leading up to it.

Ditch the bread flies ... only gonna work in an ornamental pond situation. Example: when kids are throwing bread to them, and the fish are actively responding to the chum. Will they work, yeh ... in the right place and time, but not a

high percentage method on the river.

Throw them a critter ... dark bushy nymph ... like a montana stone fly nymph. A Size 8 or 10.

A San Juan Worm would be another good place to start. Think "imitation" of a juicy "living" morsel.

Let the fly settle" into their "dinner plate zone" and watch that fish carefully. Ideally the water will be clear enough for you to be able to "see" the take. The carp will approach the fly with conviction. Will extend it mouth out a bit (turns yellow) ... suck in the fly and retract its yellow lips ... when it does, come tight .... but not the Denny Brauer "eye crossing" hook-set, just a steady strip of the line. Don't expect the take to be like a smallmouth bass on a streamer. Sometimes the carp will see the fly at a distance of 3-4 feet, and will bolt over to the fly, and then stop on a dime ... strip, it has the fly.

Stripping the fly in an attempt to attract the attention of a carp, is not a part of the equation. It's about presentation ... getting the fly into their eating zone, and then letting them eat it.

Go back to that spot ... keep working those fish. After the first one, 30 puzzle pieces will fall into place.

Carp are one of the most frustrating fish I've ever tried catching on flies. One of the most fun too! ;)

Here's my favorite carp fly:

Size 4 & 6 hook

Orange thread

Rabbit fur tail, orange

Mix of orange & brown rabbit fur dubbed body

Dark tan/dark ginger fox fur wing

Bead chain eyes.

So you make the call...LOL:-D

PS - it's fun to see how much attention you draw whenever you catch a fish larger than a perch in an area crowded with recreation walkers/joggers and tourist...LOL

A,

Sounds like you had fun in the park so it makes no difference whether it was legal or not. It certainly was close either way. However the board seems to be scoring your carp as an E 1 :confused:. For grass carp I was told to try a yellow wooly worm (according to carp afficionado Paul Rose). For common carp try a Clouser swimming nymph. My carp here in GA that we fish in the Chattahoochee River LOVE THEM!

HC

i found some big dumb carp in a nearby lake today.  After reading this thread i asked the local tackle shop guys how to get em.  I tied some mulberry fruit look a like flies today and will hopefully have pics tomorrow.