Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawkwind

Building lures and fishing after 20 years

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi! I just got my fishing permit after 20 years. When I was a boy I made few "rapalas" from the balsa wood, even though I cannot rememeber if I ever caught something on them. I just went to my workshop and tried to crank couple on my lathe.

The bottleneck gives me gripes as I couldnt remember the correct shape. The "bug" down there is from maple as its my first nonpainted wired one. It has good action, save that it is built like tank with 2 mm wire - which was only stainless I had when I got lurebuilding feever. The rest is poplar, which is pretty amazing material for this work, sort of like hardest grade of balsa. Also tried 2 poppers becaues they are not common around here and fish might not know them. Now to get some glue on eyes, hooks and must make die for casting the weights for these. And airbrush kit, but sort of afraid of that - being general woodworker, I usually make natural beeswax polish on everything and that is.  This site has been great inspiration to me!  3 months to trolling season, still have some time to finish these and couple more.

lures.jpg

I m from Czech republic.  The lip on the semi finished wobbler is stainles steel cutoff, which I took from scrapbox :)  

I have turned few more and now I have 20 lures to wire and paint.