Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Too early for trout?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

I was planning on kayaking for some trout next weekend but a guy I know is telling me it's way too early to try for them? Can that be right? I would think now would be a great time to to start trolling around for some? I'm after a giant Brown this year. :D

State Is already doing some early stocking now. Ashland Res. was Stocked last week,Somebody told me they stocked the assabet,but I saw no signs of that today.

Rivers with self sustaining stocks will have trout year round. As far as stocked lakes and ponds, it depends which body of water you're talking about as not all of these bodies of water are made equal. The stocking lakes with deeper areas for holdover trout to hold in during the summer and winter can produce year round (although once they acclamate, they're not as easy to catch as freshly stocked fish), while with shallower lakes, the fish tend to die off...For example, Hopkington Res will produce fish all winter (including for the ice fisherman)...Many times, I think the authorities tend not to stock the shallower lakes with thriving warm water species, but know of a couple of places where they do...That pond in Natick (I forget what it's called, but I'm not referring to Cotichuate) is an example where fish won't hold over very well due to lack of deeper access

Rivers with self sustaining stocks will have trout year round. As far as stocked lakes and ponds, it depends which body of water you're talking about as not all of these bodies of water are made equal. The stocking lakes with deeper areas for holdover trout to hold in during the summer and winter can produce year round (although once they acclamate, they're not as easy to catch as freshly stocked fish), while with shallower lakes, the fish tend to die off...For example, Hopkington Res will produce fish all winter (including for the ice fisherman)...Many times, I think the authorities tend not to stock the shallower lakes with thriving warm water species, but know of a couple of places where they do...That pond in Natick (I forget what it's called, but I'm not referring to Cotichuate) is an example where fish won't hold over very well due to lack of deeper access

I do beleive that in Mass. trout are stocked on the assumption that it is a put and take fishery as is pheasant stocking being put and take. Our license fees pay for both.

go on mass fish and wildlife site put in the body of water you are interested in and check the stocking sch,,, also i think new jack might have some insite on this as well ,, trout have been on all winter on the south shore with water temps staying above freezing they are very much on the bite.