Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joed5

How many hours do you fish?

14 posts in this topic

I am 62, thinking of buying a Kayak for fishing, mostly lakes, maybe crabbing in the bay. I surf fish, not sure I would brave the ocean. I am in pretty good shape. no major ailments, Curious to hear from older Kayakers as to how long you can sit in one. Was looking at a Tarpon Angler 12 foot. Thanks

I'm 57 and I have a native manta ray 12 similar to the tarpon 12. I can stay in it for 5-6 and longer out front in the surf. Don't be to afraid of the surf sometimes it is pretty calm but always keep an eye on it once you get out . Surf conditions do change.There will be a surf launch seminar in Spring Lake this summer(July), it has been posted in this forum.

I am gonna be 58 this year and I assume I'll still be at this for 5-10 more years at least! During the summer I typically fish in my hobie adventure about 5-6 days a week adding up to about 25 hours give or take a little. Because of the pedal drive, I sit in a very reclined position which is quite comfy. BTW I strongly recommend that you check out the hobie pedal drive yaks before you buy anything,....I doubt that I would be a kayak fisherman without them! As far as how long you can go,..after 6-8 hours or so, I am tired (especially if I am fighting a lot of wind and/ or current),.....but never really hurting at all. Physically, I'm sure I could go longer,..but by then I'm just usually ready to get off the water. It is a great sport though and I highly recommend it!;)

Joed5, the newer Tarpon series has a great adjustable seat called phase 3 that is far more comfortable than the other yaks I've used (I have lower back issues).

You could probably last longer in that seat than most of the others. It would be a good choice IMO.

I was more concerned about how long I could sit in a Kayak, not sure how hard it would be on my back sitting in that position. I go to the gym every day and workout, paddling is no problem. I only have around$1000 to spend on a yak. I looked at the Hobbie, a little too much $ for me. Thanks for all the help. Joe

I'm just hitting 40. If there are Zoom's (albies) roaming, I will stay from sun up till sun down. :)

If there are jumbo bass active in one area blowing up bait, I ain't leaving. :D

Under normal circumstances I'm on the kayak 3-4 hours in the early and late season to 5-6 hours during the run. I live on the water so it's easy for me to fish once or twice a day 7 days a week.

Can and do are two different things. I am young and can fish about as long as I can stand the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. Sitting down is not an issue because all you need to do to keep the blood moving is swing your legs over one or both sides. In the summer I have taken a dip to cool off and stretch out a bit.

The guy I fish with the most is 55 and he has no problems outlasting me in a kayak.

Life does get harder once you hit 50!! I ran the New York City Marathon 5 times, belonged to the New York Road Runners Club and ran races every weekend for years. Now its hard walking over the dunnes with my waders on!!

How long you can sit in one really isn't an issue in a kayak ... as long as there is a place to get out of it and walk around a bit. Beaching isn't necessary as you can stand in 2 feet of water in most cases (lakefront owners do get a bit upset if you're standing on their property, less so if you're still in the water). Yak anglers rarely do this, instead, they beach at a launch & walk funny for a minute or two before being ready to pack it in. Or, head back out. Finding relief on the water can be as simple as changing positions to side saddle on a SOT. Using your legs while paddling helps keep the soreness down.

Some advice on SOT kayak Angler options: you can save a bit of money buying a standard model & outfitting it with a rigged milk crate (adding rod holders, et al. & placing it in the tankwell).

I'm mid fifties and fish mostly tidal bays and ocean fronts. This year will be my 11th in a yak with both SOT & SIK. Average length of trip: 5 hours.

How long you can sit in one really isn't an issue in a kayak ... as long as there is a place to get out of it and walk around a bit. Beaching isn't necessary as you can stand in 2 feet of water in most cases (lakefront owners do get a bit upset if you're standing on their property, less so if you're still in the water). Yak anglers rarely do this, instead, they beach at a launch & walk funny for a minute or two before being ready to pack it in. Or, head back out. Finding relief on the water can be as simple as changing positions to side saddle on a SOT. Using your legs while paddling helps keep the soreness down.

Some advice on SOT kayak Angler options: you can save a bit of money buying a standard model & outfitting it with a rigged milk crate (adding rod holders, et al. & placing it in the tankwell).

I'm mid fifties and fish mostly tidal bays and ocean fronts. This year will be my 11th in a yak with both SOT & SIK. Average length of trip: 5 hours.

I anchor mine in water a few feet deep and take all my gear on land and fish their for a few hours. I always walk to cover a lot of ground though. It seems i am always struggling for more room in the Yak. I really need a Pro Angler

I'm 63 and fish the back with a proangler. I go to catch fish, if I'm not catching it takes the starch out my shirt. I'm sure if I were catching quitting would be the last thing on my mind. With that said,I like to fish the two hours before and after the tide change. As stated by others the wind, heat and sun intensity are also contributing the experience. I guess do it till it becomes work, then it's time to call it. This year I plan to fish with more intensity where I've caught fish in the past. I think I've gotten lazy about changing my presentation, instead I was writing it off as their not there. Sorry about the rant.