Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

I saw someone do something gross today (as part of a 'no' fish report)

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I went to check out a certain dam in the Somerville area known for early/holdover bass and despite being greeted upon my arrival by one small (12") sickly schoolie full of ic swim directly in front of me and along the shoreline (yes, I was jonesing enough to where I still chucked a 4" storm shad in it's face - which only spooked it...LOL), took home the ol' goose egg today. But at least I can attest to there being at least one fish there:-D

But anyway - the 'highlight' of the story: the area I'm referring to in the immediate vincinity of a sewage plant and the gross, brown foam that floats by on frequent intervals is not surprising....so imaging my horror when this fellow (I actually saw him at another location last week) decided he needed to know the salinity of the water down there and proceeded to taste it several times over....I wonder if some Somerville/Cambridge area hospital is treating yet another hepatitis patient this morning.

On a brighter note - I also checked out a spot known to have holdovers in the 'sister river' and while there was nothing doing on that front, I did see a few herring swim by and also, I saw a lot of carp - which would typically only get a 'so so' rise out of me....but these looked very targetable with a fly rod and I might actually put that to the test today...Not sure how to really approach it...so I think I might try something I read about a few years ago of tying a few 'bread' flies throw that around with some 'chummed' bread...Hey, it's going to be a nice day - why not?

Albacized you have the right thought on the dough ball on fly rod, Should you get a large, watch out, they can put on a powerful run or two

I was thinking about taking a few casts in this area this evening but I've never been before. I was checking it out on google maps and just was wondering what the best bet was for parking.

I'm just always nervous about tickets or worse towing.

I was thinking about taking a few casts in this area this evening but I've never been before. I was checking it out on google maps and just was wondering what the best bet was for parking.

I'm just always nervous about tickets or worse towing.

There's a parking area right there...and while it looks a little 'seedy' driving in, the actual spot itself is a recreational area of sorts and seems ok (with adequate parking that's right in site of most of the spots you'd be fishing)

Edit* I forgot to add one quirky aspect about that area...you'll need both your freshwater and saltwater license to fish there depending which side of the dam you fish...that dam is the dividing line between fresh and saltwater jurisdictions for the Mystic River (and stripers can be found on both sides)

Back in the day, when people still swam in the lower Charles at Magazine beach, and at the North End beach, the Brighton abattoir emptied its raw waste directly into the Charles. :dismay:

Well thanks for keeping your bounty to yourselves and not sharing. In the good ol days before your ten mile pipe we would end-up with a lot of pink beach whistles on the National Seashore beaches.

Our shellfish are starting to taste a lot better

upck.gif

on a positive note, i did notice they built a new fishing pier at this location... certainly about time... makes me feel slightly better about paying $10 a year to fish the salt... slightly...