puppy drum

show your toyota prius car topping a kayak

41 posts in this topic

I have a buddy that traded in his BMW for a Mini Cooper. He cartops his Revo on it. Looks funny as s**t the first time he rolled up. He loves it because of the mileage he now gets.

I have had an 06 Prius and now a 010 I use a Thule rack with hydro glide saddles . My yak ride with the hull parallel to the hood . I still get close to 50mpg with this setup. FishHawk

I now have it sitting on the driver’s side with a cargo box on the passenger side.

48-53MPG with nothing and does not drop much with just the rack no cradles

high 30-low40mpg with the cargo box and kayak.

Rack and cargo box will likely go up this week. Last year it did not come off till January.

I have been all but living out of that car for the past two years. Averaging 100mi a day for work and then making trips to the shore every weekend. The rear seats have been down 99% of the time I have owned the car and with the front passenger seat pushed forward and a cooler behind it I can and have sleep fully extended for more nights than I can count.

Jason

My dad and I use a similar setup to the ones posted. Around 42-45 MPG highway with a Revolution upside down on thule bars, upper 30s when we add an Outback in a J saddle. Below highway speeds the kayaks make a lot less difference in mileage. A couple years ago I would just put my Hobie Sport inside the Prius and close the trunk. The Prius is an awesome car.

ive got a scion tc that i throw a 12 ft and 14 ft kayak on top of. havent noticed a huge decrease in mileage either, maybe 2-3 mpg, nothing all that noticeable. either way, its still a whole lot better than what you would be getting in a truck, and its pretty easy to get the boats up there, my rack is just about shoulder height on me, so i can just slide it over and up.

I've been wanting to get another kayak, but not sure how it would handle on top of my 07 sentra.  It looks like everyone pretty much uses the THULE racks?  Have you noticed a dent in your roof or scratched up paint?

i bought a steel pipe from home depot that fit right in the yakima bars for 10 bucks. I put a pool noodle over that steel pipe so when i lift one end up on it, it doesnt damage the yak while sliding it up from the other end. If you want a picture i'll post it for you guys.