Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishologia

Shimano Curado 300E for surf fishing? How good is it?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm only a beginner surf fisherman in the process of putting together my gear for the upcoming (my first) surf fishing season. I bought a Curado 300E since I prefer baitcasters/conventionals for all my fishing. I'd love to hear your opinions on it. Is it going to be able to stand up to the rigors the surf can dish out? It's for casting lures. I'll use Penn Squalls for soaking bait.

Thanks and tight lines!

It hates sand. If your fishing a lot of moving water from shore you may want something with more capacity and crank. Other then that the 300E can take Big Bass abuse. I use it on my kayak.

Yes, I'll definitely use it for my kayak fishing. I just love low profile reels, so, I thought, I'd give it a try. May not work though. I also have a Daiwa Luna 300. Do you think that would be better for the beach?

What do you both have it on? I picked one up that I want to use for jetty, bay and kayak. It is actually much more reel than I had imagined putting on a 7’ rod for light lures.

What do you both have it on? I picked one up that I want to use for jetty, bay and kayak. It is actually much more reel than I had imagined putting on a 7’ rod for light lures.

It doesn't toss 1/2oz and under well at all. The 200E size throws the 1/2 to 1/4 oz stuff great on the right rod.

For the 300E, I use a custom Calstar 700L and 700XL. The L will toss up to 4oz range and the XL will toss 2.5oz. The XL gets the most use for tossing 2oz stuff and jigging. It's got a lot of balls to turn a big bass. :)

Yes, I'll definitely use it for my kayak fishing. I just love low profile reels, so, I thought, I'd give it a try. May not work though. I also have a Daiwa Luna 300. Do you think that would be better for the beach?

I think you'll like the luna better from the beach... You'll get better casting distance anyway, and more line capacity at the end of your cast. Won't be quite as comfortable to fish though. Its a trade off, if the fish are close and you aren't worried about sand, curado should work for ya.

It doesn't toss 1/2oz and under well at all. The 200E size throws the 1/2 to 1/4 oz stuff great on the right rod.

For the 300E, I use a custom Calstar 700L and 700XL. The L will toss up to 4oz range and the XL will toss 2.5oz. The XL gets the most use for tossing 2oz stuff and jigging. It's got a lot of balls to turn a big bass. :)

thank you

I have the 300E spooled with 20lb Sufix Braid & use it on a 7 1/2 St Croix Tidemaster & a 7'9" Loomis Hotshot. I have no problem with 1/2oz & up. A Casting maching & IMO will cast as good if not better than the Luna!

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't figured out the rod yet. Like I said, I'm inexperienced. i usually prefer longer rods 8'6" and up to 10' for all my fishing (except the yak of course). Also, since I'm planning on tossing lures on the heavy side as a rule, the casting ability of the reel should be more than adequate.

I read some reviews on other sites, too, and they say that it actually was designed for saltwater use. that said, however, it may not like like the moving water packed with sand, like Riddler said.

I'd welcome any more input, also, as a second question on rods I should pair it with on the heavy side and, like i said, longer.