Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishinKid007

How do you Choose your Lures to Go?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I suspect everyone here has grown their lure arsenal over the years, so every year we must choose which ones to carry (this is a problem for me especially, since I limit my lure weight, due to a bad back).

I tend to take a few that work for me on North Shore and the most productive ones for South Shore fishing. Then the rest stay back and I never use them. I always second guess myself, what if I had that purple/black needle today, since everyone around me is killing the fish with them, and mine is back home :confused:

I went through the same process today, and it occured to me, I only use 3 lures in the area I am going to during early spring. So I kept every lure back, except those 3 lures. But it is a hassle keep re-arraning the lure bag every time I go out.

What do you guys do?? Any suggestions?

[img=

3 Killer Lures

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3278845/width/600/height/450]

So much depends upon the conditions that prevail where you are fishing and the intel that you have gleaned from either fishing the spot previously or whatever scuttlebutt that you have heard from other fishers,or have read about,prior to leaving for the trip.

If you are going somewhere sight unseen,one starting point is to bring a few different size bucktails which might allow you to mimic many different baits at different water columns. You could also bring some bomber type or larger profiled swimming plugs using the same philosophy, again enabling you to mimic different types of bait. Are you fishing the bay or the ocean? Are the fish usually reachable close or far out...fishing a rip, or are you fan casting a large area very close to the beach? Is the water situated over rocks or sand?Water usually rough or calm? What's the tide doing..will there be plenty of water so that you can float certain lures that sink quickly or swim close to the bottom as you reel faster? Is the wind in your face or behind you? Are you fishing day or night?

Is the bait on top or on the bottom ,predominantly at the spot? You could probably cover most of your bases with six plugs and some bucktails.

If I am going some place that I know nothing about.... I typically bring about 12 different plugs,three different sized bucktails, and a few different sized shads...so I am covered.I predominantly fish at night so I generally carry a few needles and a few darters. I also have an affinity for x-raps and yozuri darters which for me seem to catch under almost every condition. I have never found that carrying that many plugs was too cumbersome. But with a bad back...perhaps you are very limited.

Everyone has a different approach....but most will consider their prey,conditions,past experiences,lures that have worked well in the spot previously,the prevailing bait, and any anecdotal info. before choosing their lure selection. Again,you'll probably get a lot more ideas.. and better input, than what I am giving,the more people you ask the question....and be surprised by some of the very smart lure choices that other people make, that you would never contemplate.:)

Regarding your bad back...why not purchase a hip bag that you can wear on your belt,you could also get a second smaller version for tins and bucks ?

Get a plastic milk crate or other cheap kind of plug storage device. Keep it in your trunk. Change out plugs at the beach depending on conditions/bait....

Good Inputs.

I am late and in a hurry many times (I am usually an early dawn fisherman, or I just follow the tides in some areas), so I hate to waste time choosing lures for each day, as I tend to fish different areas (North Shore shallow, North Shore Inlet, North Shore area with Big Boulders in water, .....South Shore ocean, South Shore Inlets, South Shore rocky bottom bays, ............) But I think it makes sense to customize the lure selection the night before, as many times I hate myself for not having that perfect Lure for the area I fish.

As far as leaving it in the truck, I will try hiding a few so they cannot be seen, as I am afraid of break ins by passer by's, once they can see fishing gear inside. I hear of many auto break-ins for fishing gear last few years. I even now take my exp. fishing pole with me when I go to a tackle store, or stop for early coffee! :D The bait shop guys undertand, but you should see the face of the early morning bagel store counter person when I open the door and they see me carrying something weapon like :D

I always have the following:

Yellow, blurple darters and needles

White darter

various weight bucktails

couple of hogy's and tins

yellow pencil and popper

bone and chicken scratch redfin

They never leave my bag unless I have to replace a hook. I feel comfortable with these and they fit the places I go most of the time.

Then I usually fill a need that I think I might need (still learning), different water column depths, colors, profile. Then I will usually add something new to try as the last thing in my bag, could be a color, but this year will be metal lips.

I usually have a couple different bags loaded and ready to go... daytime, nighttime, back-bay etc. I also tend to make a few minor changes debpending on the conditions... known bait present, wind, waves .....