Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slick706

Daiwa Seagate STG20 input?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I just grabbed a Daiwa Seagate STG20H at the Somerset show. Anyone have an opinion on this reel? I know they are new and just came out not to long ago. For a $135 reel it seems like a very good reel with some decent drag. I am going to use it for ocean fluking. I paired it with a Lami 7020ct and spooled it with 30lb PP.

I've been eyeballing them and from what I've seen I think they will find their place with us fishermen. I guess I would say they are somewhat like a graphite Saltist. I think if they are as good as their other conv. reels than they will be ok.

The Seagates look really, really nice, but those ventilated crossbars bug the crap outta me. How rigid/stout does the frame seem?

One thing I like about the SHA is the fact that it's got a big, chunky frame--which is a good thing, for a plastic reel. I'd be worried about dropping a Seagate on a rock. Plus, the SHA has the disengaging pinion system. I'm sort of amazed that they didn't just angle the SHA's gearbox forward, jack up the price, and call it a day.

The frame seems sturdy to me. Looks like a great all around reel for the price. Small enough for ocean fluking yet has the necessary drag to pull in a nice sized SB or Tog. And what shocked me the most was this reel casts very very well. I loaded it with 30lb sufix 832 braid and will give it a shot this season. More to come once I fish it.

Slick, I used mine for blackfish this season. Great reel for the money. Its a saltist with a graphite frame as was mentioned. Already has the carbon drag washers. I've had the Saltist, the new BG Saltist and now the Seagate. Its lighter than either of the other two and so far I have no complaints.

For what its worth, I've owned an SHA also. In my book its no where near as good as any of the Saltists.