Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattywagon

Hi all. New here

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I've been searching here a bit and decided to post. I'm new to the area, I live in Gaithersburg, MD (20 min north of DC. I am from Boston, MA and am much more familiar with Striper fishing there. What are some of the better places for me to fish for stripers here? What are the best/closest (any day trips worth it)? Are there any with camping? I've been watching the fishing reports but I'm not too familiar with the areas that I should be concentrating on. 

Also a broad  tutorial on when the Chesapeake Bay fishing is the best would be helpful. The Stripers go there to spawn right? Basically any information you all can give, especially related to my location would be great. Thanks alot, and in the meantime, I'll keep reading! 

HOw ya doing Mattywagon?? I am sure you will enjoy both reading and posting here. All here seem to be perfect gentlemen , never offend and the best part , you cannot smell a fart over the internet. LOL

Hope to read some of your post.

Peter

THHHHBBBBBBBBbbbbbbbbbtttttttttttt.......Anything? . . . No? . . . .Hmmm I guess you're right Lv2! 

So I hear the Potomac in DC is a pretty good area around now. Gonna try that tomorrow, although I hear it's only catch and release? Oh well, still a nice time. I'll keep you posted!

I am usually a saltwater guy , fishing mostly for stripers. I came from salt, went to fresh, then back to salt. Potomac always has something going on. If you are in Gaithersburg, try a place called Black Hills in Damascus. They are only electric but you get plenty of different species. I think they even have Tiger Muskies. I caught plenty of nice LM. I throw all fresh water back. When you leave the launch dock area, head stright until you get the the first branch off the main on the left. Its just past a pier and camping area. Take that left and stay left. There is a shallow crossing area with rocks. You might need to get out and push the boat. Then it drops down after the rocks. All through there I been really lucky. Also around the bridge, and ust before the bridge to the right is a finger . All down that bank is nice fishing. Potomac just gave up , according to the Sun Paper today, the Maryland record for a Blue or Flathead catfish. I can see it now. We will have all those Georgia Noodlers coming to Maryland now. If I hook the noodlers, they will be gutted and filet. LOL Hope you had a great day of fishing. For me I worked all day on getting my stuff ready.

I second the Black Hills Park. I haven't fished there before but was kayaking and saw quite a few big fish swimming around.

Most of the time I go inshore saltwater fishing. (no boat for me) Takes about 2-3 hours to get to MD Cambridge (pier- lots of croaker, spot, blue fish, catfish, and striper occasionally), DE Indian River Inlet (under the bridge - TOG, striper), Ocean City (haven't been there but I hear alot of Tog and Striper and other stuff). MD Point look out (camping and alot of striper and blues), MD Solomons Island (never caught much here but alot of ppl come here to fish and crab) Virginia Beach pier was nice a few years ago (haven't been there in a long time), I hear that the Chesapeake bridge and tunnel has a great fishing place. (you have to pay the toll to get on the bridge tho)

And that is the extent of my fishing.

I live in Germantown, and yea Black Hills is nice. Can even rent boats if you don't have your own. If you are looking for stripers, I've had decent luck at the Bill Burten Fishing pier over at Choptank and Kent Narrows near the bay bridge, although Kent Narrows gets crowded during peak fishing season. I don't have a boat, so these are both piers. Bring a drop net if you go to the Choptank pier.

Welcome aboard.You have alot of places near you to fish for stripers..Hanes point,fletchers boat house,Howard county has places to fish for stripers.Frederick Md.:):hooked:

Hello all,

I've been searching here a bit and decided to post. I'm new to the area, I live in Gaithersburg, MD (20 min north of DC. I am from Boston, MA and am much more familiar with Striper fishing there. What are some of the better places for me to fish for stripers here? What are the best/closest (any day trips worth it)? Are there any with camping? I've been watching the fishing reports but I'm not too familiar with the areas that I should be concentrating on. 

Also a broad  tutorial on when the Chesapeake Bay fishing is the best would be helpful. The Stripers go there to spawn right? Basically any information you all can give, especially related to my location would be great. Thanks alot, and in the meantime, I'll keep reading! 

welcome bud :)

Hello all ......Mattywagon are you looking to fish from a boat. Reason I ask is that I lost my fishing partner this year and trying to put together a "Team" / Fishing Partners this year. I have a 30' boat with nice electronics very well upkeep no junk. Not asking for much in return here as I am going anyways and would like the company and commroderie . Offer goes out to those in the area that want to fish all the time and be committed to the "team". Boat is located at a marina near colonial beach va.

Hello HAYMAKER . Hello Friends on this Chesapeake board.Thank you for posting. I am sorry that you lost your fishing partner. I know it is hard to find the right partner. I also lost mine not long ago along with some desire to get up early , enthusiast...But I always keep the memories of good time we had on the water.

Welcome on board. If you or someone needs advise on rod building or parts (guide, tip top, blanks... free or you just help the part cost.) just ask. We are just a big happy family of fishermen.

Hi all, thanks for the welcomes. Sorry it took me awhile to get back, but I should be on here a little more regularly now. So I went out to Fletcher's that weekend and was skunked, but I saw quite a few people hauling some monster catfish out of there! What I haven't figured out is when the "season" for stripers begins there. When can you keep fish and what are the regulations? I looked through the handbook that came with my license but I couldn't really figure it out. Any other good areas within (day) driving distance of Gaithersburg? Any areas of the chesapeake or for that matter anywhere, that are good for camping and surf fishing? I was going to try Assateague as soon as I can. I'll check out the black hills area as soon as I can, but I am definitely more interested in Striper fishing if possible. But if largemouth are all that are close, I'll take that too! Thanks again

I just re-read my previous post and realized it wasn't all that clear. What I could actually use most is a basic tutorial, by basic I mean really basic. . . typically when and where are the Stripers in the bay? And typically when are they around Ocean city? I suppose watching the fishing reports gives me the details, but I am looking more for the bigger "typical" picture. I'd like to go camping for a few days, someplace, and I am trying to pin down the best time and place to do that. i don't mind travelling a bit for that, but as I said in my previous post, day trip area ideas are also nice! Thanks again for all the advice already.  

Hi all, thanks for the welcomes. Sorry it took me awhile to get back, but I should be on here a little more regularly now. So I went out to Fletcher's that weekend and was skunked, but I saw quite a few people hauling some monster catfish out of there! What I haven't figured out is when the "season" for stripers begins there. When can you keep fish and what are the regulations? I looked through the handbook that came with my license but I couldn't really figure it out. Any other good areas within (day) driving distance of Gaithersburg? Any areas of the chesapeake or for that matter anywhere, that are good for camping and surf fishing? I was going to try Assateague as soon as I can. I'll check out the black hills area as soon as I can, but I am definitely more interested in Striper fishing if possible. But if largemouth are all that are close, I'll take that too! Thanks again

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/*************/frmapindex.asp

bottom left square that says "striped bass season 2012"

Handy bay maps for all season date segments.

Oh, nevermind. My non-commercial Maryland DNR link gets edited due to this board's uppityness. :rolleyes:

Just google search "Maryland DNR maps" It should be the second result.