Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Dipper

Are All These $30 to $40 Aluminum Pliers The Same?

Rate this topic

97 posts in this topic

They all look the same. They all cost about $30 - $40. They go by the names of Lews, Danco, Gorilla, Berkley, P-Line Adaro, Off Shore Anglers, Cabelas, etc....

They are similarly described as constructed with "aircraft aluminum," "tungsten cutters," "corrosion-resistant anodized finish," etc....

My guess is that they are the identical pliers, probably made in China somewhere, with different branding for the US market. They usually show up at the fishing shows this time of year. Has anyone experienced one brand being superior to another, or are they all the same?

I usually just buy a $5 pair every year, but wonder if any of these would be worth it.

Yep. All the same in my eyes. They all corroded at about the same pace too....which is instantly.

Best pair of pliers I ever bought were HPA split ring pliers. They open split rings, they squeeze, they cut. Never an issue, no corrosion. Best $50 tool I ever bought.

I second that about the browning pliers.Just keep in mind van staal pliers cost around 350 dollars a pair.If you can afford that then that is the way to go. But most cant in today's present economy.Another pair to stay away from is Hansom pliers .the pliers them selves are great but the nylon sheath sucks and only last a very short time for the guy who fishes on a regular basis.The belt loop just falls apart.I contacted them by e-Mail twice and by phone once and no return E-mail or call.I even offered to up grade to there higher leather sheath as long as i didn't pay top price. since the nylon sheath was brand new.I didnt feel that i should pay full price.And still no response at all. Very disappointed.Stay away from Hansome pliers company.

Check out the gerber flik fish multi tool pliers.  One handed opening, have a bunch of tools on them, will not rust (I've had a pair for years and have not rusted, i don't wash them ever) and they retail for around $50.

]I second that about the browning pliers[/b].Just keep in mind van staal pliers cost around 350 dollars a pair.If you can afford that then that is the way to go. But most cant in today's present economy.Another pair to stay away from is Hansom pliers .the pliers them selves are great but the nylon sheath sucks and only last a very short time for the guy who fishes on a regular basis.The belt loop just falls apart.I contacted them by e-Mail twice and by phone once and no return E-mail or call.I even offered to up grade to there higher leather sheath as long as i didn't pay top price. since the nylon sheath was brand new.I didnt feel that i should pay full price.And still no response at all. Very disappointed.Stay away from Hansome pliers company.

I third the Browning's but they are not aluminum, they are weighty but they last and are durable. Hey, i don't care about the sheath, or the lanyard, if the pliers were very good but the other stuff was garbage that's fine with me (but one usually indicates the quality of the other). I make my own sheaths and lanyards anyway.

I lose stuff all the time so $300.00 is up there when you have this unfortunate habit.

X-tools floating hybrid have worked great for me for years and they even cut braid if you get the ones with the cutters.

I see them all the time but lightweight plastic instantly appears in my head and i move on.

I bought 3 Brownings for my friends and family, and just bought 2 Sargent Sportmates for myself. I fish at various locations, and leave a pair at my Dad's house and 1 at my Uncle's. The Brownings are awesome, but the Sargent is better. I liked it so much, I bought another pair for my Dad.