Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
murphy617

penn battle 5000

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

hello, i don't post much, but i'm always checking out the info on this forum! good stuff!!! i just picked up a penn battle 5000 for $60 brand new and was wondering what was a good rod to pair it with. i usually fish from the beach or jettys in ct and me for stripers. i like throwing chunk bait and plugs, is there something out there that would work for me??? any info is appreciated.

I had mine paired with a 9ft mojo, used it most of last season. Really liked the pair, but i dont throw bait so im speaking strictly for plugs.

The list of suitable rods is endless, can you be more specific on your preferences on weight thrown etc...the perfect rod for Jetty work is quite different than one for open beach.

How much are you looking to spend? This will narrow it down some. smile.gif

Also, I think the reel will be good for plugging but not chunking bait. A reel with a baitrunner feature would have been better if ya wanted to do both. I know some loosen the drag to use a spinner as a chunking reel, but one doesn't really want to be messing with a drag knob with a fish on. I don't anyhow!smile.gif

For around that price, Tica, Tsunami and maybe Ocean Master rods come to mind. I've used the two former, but not an Ocean Master. I don't know what kind of plugs your gonna be tossing, but you want to make sure the rod is rated for what your throwing. I've used a 5000 size reel in the past on 9' and 10' surf spinning rods. When looking at rods, you want to make sure it's a spinning rod and not a casting rod. The latter will be suited for a conventional reel. smile.gif

thanks jimmyz, i'll have to take a trip to cabelas and check some out. just might order online though depending on the price! i do know the diff between the casting and spinning rods, i'm not a complete newbie! been freshwater fishing for years, just somewhat new to the salt! thanks for the tip though as you did not know that!!!

I think it's best to see what you are buying, especially a new rod for the surf. Buying online, without seeing or really knowing how the rod feels can be a disappointment. And, I really don't like to have rods shipped. That can open another can of worms if the shipping handlers are Viking types. Rods do get broken being shipped. Not always, but it has been known to happen! The best to your on your search!smile.gif

9 ft or a 10 footer tsunami Air wave awesome rod for the money

I would 2nd this rod as a good value, i have had both the trophy and the airwave but prefer the airwave. Especially if you can get one with the fuji guides.