Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rbenash

Gear for the Ditch

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

Newbie first post. So simple questions.

I do fish the Cape most every year for a good long while. The canal has always intriqued me and I would like to spend some time on it.

My questions are more about gear and patterns. Gear first.

It seems that most canal hunters use some specific rigs. Looks like long rods almost like bank fishing in that regard.

Thing is I know from wading and other types of shore fishing long length can actually get in the way at times depending on surrounding area you are casting from.

I will have an 8ft MH Shimano Terez and a Tranx that I'll be using along with some 7'6 inshore St. Croix with me for fishing out of the boat.

Wondering if the Terez/Tranx will give me distance I need or if I should go for another longer rod specific for ditch fishing/challenges.

Has anyone here  used a Shimano Terez rod on the canal (max length on these is 8')  how did they fit the bill?

If I went for another rod specific to canal fishing would it be better to say pick a surf rod? Would a Shimano Tiralejo work? MH/H? I'd want to use the Tranx or Shimano 300EJ on whatever rod so looking for conventional.

Sorry for stupid questions - if there's another forum that addressed Cape Cod Canal gear recommendations just point me there and I'll get out of your hair :)

Ray

Nope, your in the right place! My advise to you would be to attend the Mass Striped Bass fishing expo this weekend, attend some seminars and talk to the local dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, your in the right place! My advise to you would be to attend the Mass Striped Bass fishing expo this weekend, attend some seminars and talk to the local dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^exactly what I was going to say,

Thanks.Won't be able to hit the Mass expo - but figure worst case try what I have and talk to the local shops while I'm up there. You have a good recommendation on a knowledgeable shop? I'll be working out of Buzzards Bay, staying in South Yarmouth.

Thanks.Won't be able to hit the Mass expo - but figure worst case try what I have and talk to the local shops while I'm up there. You have a good recommendation on a knowledgeable shop? I'll be working out of Buzzards Bay, staying in South Yarmouth.

if you have time hit up Cape Cod tackle over in wareham and talk with mike, he'll be able to help you out,

What he said. :th:

Thanks, I'll definitely do that. Also talk to locals that are willing and see what they are up to. Thanks again for the reference. In the mean time I'll tune in here.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that. Also talk to locals that are willing and see what they are up to. Thanks again for the reference. In the mean time I'll tune in here.

You'll be sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Rbenash you will have plenty of shops more then willing to assist you, Red Top, M and D, Cape Cod Charlies to mention a few that provide good assistance to beginners.

Then again, should you need specific information. you can get help here as well or simply go into the history parts here and read up on specific items of interest.

Hey Angler #1 - yep, that's what I'm doing :) Not my first time to the Cape. Been running up for years fishing salt and the ponds. Usually once a year or so. I have relatives in S. Yarmouth. They just aren't all that intense about fishing. Have never played on the canal. Different world. Most of the time though I'm river fishing for smallmouth out of kayaks.

Rbenash, speaking only from my experiences, Red Top guys are BEYOND helpful...  I fish 90% from my boat off Plymouth, but those guys at Red Top are great when it comes to questions I have had in the past regarding the canal....

It really will be well worth your time to take some time out of your day and go shoot the breeze with them... You'll likely leave with a bag of stuff too...lol... 

Actually I was in that shop last July when I was working out of Buzzards bay for a few weeks. That's kind of when I got this bug about the Canal. Stuff I bought was for offshore inshore. So this time I'll ask about Canal fishing/gear recommendations, etc. Also study/read up from now til then.

I saw that video with Larry Dahlberg and the Tranx. Cool reel, but I'm not sure it would hold up to the Canal's current AND a big fish? Maybe it would, but that current is something else.

You can fish the Canal with anything you want. Maine Guide (member here) and I fished next to some kid a couple years ago that was fishing and catching Striper after striper on a freshwater rig. He was palming the spool to keep the fish from running off with all his line, lol.

I think most people would tell you....10' rod or longer. (I use a 10') and a Conventional of some reputation. I don't know Conventionals myself, so I cannot help on that. The ones I see being used are round and sing beautifully when cast by a pro. :D I see a lot of older Abu's. I can tell you that much.

Beyond that......it starts coming down to...."how to fish the Canal". Trying to get THAT info from locals is not a fun task, lol.

Actually I was in that shop last July when I was working out of Buzzards bay for a few weeks. That's kind of when I got this bug about the Canal. Stuff I bought was for offshore inshore. So this time I'll ask about Canal fishing/gear recommendations, etc. Also study/read up from now til then.

plugs,tins.jigs , swim shads.... Try them all and keep mental notes(or real ones)

Are you looking to use bait? thats another story and and less complicated...i think

I think you need a rod that can reach out to middle fish. I am not sure you can do that with an 8' rod. A reel that will cast and handle fish in current.

You need to look at tide charts.... so much to do.

have fun

ask questions and weed thru the jokes...good luck