Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Acedoc

re penn squall star drag reels.

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

hi guys i have been offered a new penn star drag squall reel size 15. i rarely bait fish and mainly use plugs , will this reel be good for casting 1 1/2 oz plugs and up ? i have a curado and am comfortable with it. just want to know if this reel will fit on a 8 ft rod and handle casting plugs in this range using 15 lb mono ?

ps - is it a level wind model ?

thanks

it is a very good reel but it may be a little big for an 8' rod.

it is not a level wind.

it also has magnetic cast control.

if price is right i would get it ......if you find you don't like it on rod you can always sell it here :D

the price is irrelevant as is the resale since i am far away and the postage jacks up the price bad.:mad:

the reason i am looking at this reel is for large fresh water species and for the occasional saltwater foray. i have recently had some good luck and started catching double digit fish. the rod will mostly be the eight footer with may be a larger rod being involved later.

in my country most people use spinning gear not conventional but after my last catch and the handling difference in the spinners and the caster i am a convert.

you could also kindly comment about the lure weights i mentioned. any and all inputs are needed and appreciated.