Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nightblitz

Quality Cameras?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Didnt really know what forum to put this thread in so i threw it here, my girl has graced me with awesome fishing gears for presents. she shows alot of interest in photography and it quite good at it and was asking about a nice camera. I see some of your guys pictures on here and alot of them are really good, espesially some in the regional jersey forum random jersey pics. anyway i was wondering what input you "photographers' could throw my way as a good camera to get her for her birthday, or to recommend to her to look into. price is not a huge issue. thankyou, maybe soon shell have some good shots i can post here from the upcoming season.. Thanks

Didnt really know what forum to put this thread in so i threw it here, my girl has graced me with awesome fishing gears for presents. she shows alot of interest in photography and it quite good at it and was asking about a nice camera. I see some of your guys pictures on here and alot of them are really good, espesially some in the regional jersey forum random jersey pics. anyway i was wondering what input you "photographers' could throw my way as a good camera to get her for her birthday, or to recommend to her to look into. price is not a huge issue. thankyou, maybe soon shell have some good shots i can post here from the upcoming season.. Thanks

do a search for cameras- recently, this was discussed here at length- I forget which forum, but the search should cover all of sol. My other suggestion is to PM jetskybrian-0 he takes great pics.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/721335/digital-cameras here

If you are looking for small -- and not waterproof nothing is going to beat the Canon S95 or S100 whatever number they are up to. about $300

If you want to go the SLR route get a Nikon 5100 $750

for waterproof stick to either canon, panasonic or sony. IMO stay away from penatx, olympus, fuji etc ( I only mean for the waterproof/sport/shock type cameras)

thanks hays, i browsed the thread and that seems to be geared more to digital, waterproof, shockproof type cameras, she is talking more of a professional type camera, not for fishing, but shell use it when she accompanies me to the beach ya know what i mean

thanks hays, i browsed the thread and that seems to be geared more to digital, waterproof, shockproof type cameras, she is talking more of a professional type camera, not for fishing, but shell use it when she accompanies me to the beach ya know what i mean

a profesional - type camera usually means DSLR

I like Nikon over Canon for this as Nikon makes the BEST glass, their entry level is the 5100, but its way more advanced than what entry level DSLR would have been just 4 years ago, a big step up would be the Nikon d 7000 ( about 1 1600 with one lens and body) , which is within a hair of being every bit as good as their top camera called the d3s or 4s ( about 4-5k body only no lens) .

I would suggest getting the 5100, as it is less expensive, a smaller and lighter form factor ( which may be important if she is on the smaller side) and if it turns out the DSLR route is not right for her you should be able to sell it and its' lens for at least 50 percent what you paid for it

IF you want to go small but retain many of the features and abilities of a DSLR ( except interchangable lenses) get the Canon S90 S95 or S100 ....it is an incredible little camera, takes incredible pistures and you can shoot in RAW which is important in modern digital photography

also if you get her the Nikon DSLR google Nikon School and sign her up for the 2 day seminar they offer ( they tour the country and usually show up in each major metro area 12 -18 months sometime smore in a place like NYC)

If price is not an issue the Nikon D800 is about to be released for about 3 grand and at 36mp its sweeeet.

Hi Nightblitz...

There are soooo many awesome cameras out there.

How much is she into photography? Has she taken classes, studied anything?

If she's just looking for a really good point and shoot, something like a Canon SX40 HS or one of the newer PowerShots. These camera do it all; including HD video. The SX40 is a bit smaller than an SLR and you don't need to carry extra lenses. The Powershots are much more compact, but still take beautiful photos.

Imaging Resource is a great site to answer your questions about specific cameras and read the reviews about all of the details of most cameras available today.

Good luck.

Hi Nightblitz...

There are soooo many awesome cameras out there.

How much is she into photography? Has she taken classes, studied anything?

If she's just looking for a really good point and shoot, something like a Canon SX40 HS or one of the newer PowerShots. These camera do it all; including HD video. The SX40 is a bit smaller than an SLR and you don't need to carry extra lenses. The Powershots are much more compact, but still take beautiful photos.

Imaging Resource is a great site to answer your questions about specific cameras and read the reviews about all of the details of most cameras available today.

Good luck.

Very good superzoom, 35 X optical and i would choose it over my favorite (Panasonic FZ 150) only because it's more user friendly and it's easier for newbies to get great results. The FZ 150 is an enthusiast's camera and is very fast with great video (including SLO MO) and judging by user reviews and samples around the web it's IQ is stellar for a bridge camera. Outstanding glass also

As a matter of fact i saw some recent reviews saying the image quality is to close to call between the Canon S100 and the FZ 150 despite the 150's smaller sensor.It has a 24X optical zoom and most sites agree it's the best of the best for it's type, but again the SX 40HS is easier for a beginner to get great shots and it's neck in neck with the FZ as far as IQ, although slower.

I wouldn't spend thousands on a DSLR on someone just getting into photography, i would get something that's simple to figure out and something she can grow into. You can find very very good camera's in the $500.00 range, and if you frequent the right sites you can get phenomenal deals on them. I recently got a $400.00 camera for $184.00, unfortunately not a FZ 150.:(:(

I bought my wife the FZ 100 last spring. She just wanted something with a fairly high zoom that took good pictures. Isn't ready for the 'enthusiest' level of a DSLR. She likes it a lot so far. There's a bazillion settings if you so desire. She mostly leaves it on auto. Takes great HD videos as well. Paid around $400 for it.

Every company is making great cameras today. Your question (though sincere and important) is just far too general for anyone to specifically answer or at least give a camera type answer even.

If I were you I would try and find out more specific wants and needs she may have. Like type photography she is most interested in (sports, outdoors, portraits, low light, etc...). Also try and find out her expectations for portability ( small enough to always have in her purse, small fixed lens camera, interchangeable lens camera, 40 lbs of crap carrying idiot like some (me. ;) ). What does she want to do with the images she captures? For instance keep them digital and only display them electronically ir maybe print them and to what size is she wanting ( publications like arizona highway will only accept 20mp images or larger so if that is her goal that really limits the choices and empties the wallet). This way instead of taking wild guesses suggesting this or that type camera, all of us could be far more helpful in narrowing the field to a camera she will enjoy today as well as several years from now.

I know you are sincere in wanting advice but we really need to know more inable to make the best suggestions. Also keep in mind great shots are rarely because of the camera but are results of their user's and the situation. I have seen exceptional images taken with pinhole box cameras, cellphones, P&S's, dslrs, up to very big buck medium and large format digitals or film camera's. It is truly rarely ever the brand or type of camera that made the difference. In today's market you would really have to look hard to find a camera that isn't good.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this but it is like asking what vehicle I should drive without knowing my specific needs or wants. The more specific information we have the better our suggestions will be. Your comment of a Pro type camera narrows it some but I have seen pros using waterproof P&S up to $200,000 digital spec cameras. Know what she wants it to do for her is important in final decision making.

Take a look at the Canon EOS 60D. It's not cheap but it's one of the better high end cameras on the market.

Steve

The Canon EOS 60D is a wonderful camera for the serious amateur. Has all the creative control of a professtional body costing $3,500 or more.

It's probably less than 60 percent of the price.

Any lense you buy with this unit can be used to up-grade later if see wants to continue in the field.

Most photographers will stay with the same brand of camera and technology after investing in other optics

If price is not an issue the Nikon D800 is about to be released for about 3 grand and at 36mp its sweeeet.

Wife ordered hers right after they were announced.

Seems like it should be a good all around body to build on...... we will see.