Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
squidlips

Makita

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

They bought a couple of the small gun size at work and burned all the clutches out in them in less then 3 months.

Thats all the shop ever used, mostly the 9.6 volt drills but it was getting to the point of batteries costing as much as a new one.

Cant say I am to impressed

Home Depot now owns Makita? Has the quality of the tool suffered?

no,Home Depot does not own Makita, it's is publicly traded Japanese company.

Home Depot already has Ridgid as their housebrand, which is made under licensed by TTi the same company that owns Milwaukee and Ryobi tools.

It is a little known fact that anything you buy at Homedepot is MADE for Homedepot.  They may look the same on the outside, but the guts are of lower quality, hence the lower price.  Try looking up the product number on any manufacturer website, you probably won't find it.

My wife's uncle, a plumber, got a delta faucet there for a job. He had a problem on the job site with it.  So he went to a closer actual plumbing store to get a new valve for it.  No dice, even though he found what looked like the same one there the insides were totally different.

I bought a Vermont Castings grill from a grill dealer.  I was told if I got one at HD and I needed parts in the future that she would not be able to get them for me, as mine was an American made version and theirs was made overseas.  Sure enough, when I compared the two before buying, the one at HD had lower quality burners and valves. BTW, 8 years later my higher priced American made grill still works perfectly, even the electric igniter!

One of the local power equipment dealers had a side by side comparison on their floor with snow blowers, their troy-built vs a lowes troy-bilt.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  Same deal, "don't come to us for parts for a "box store" unit we won't be able to get them"..

You get what you pay for.  I hate buying drill bits there in a pinch, when the last one I got there broke the first time I used it.  Nothing but junk.  My Dewalt cordless drill I've had for at least 10 years and used a lot I got at Sears, still going strong.  I've only had it serviced at a local power tool service company once when the motor got a little noisy and the brushes were arcing.  I think I paid $100 more then than they sell for at HD NOW.  Tell you anything?

Just my .02 on my experiences.

It is a little known fact that anything you buy at Homedepot is MADE for Homedepot.  They may look the same on the outside, but the guts are of lower quality, hence the lower price.  Try looking up the product number on any manufacturer website, you probably won't find it.

My wife's uncle, a plumber, got a delta faucet there for a job. He had a problem on the job site with it.  So he went to a closer actual plumbing store to get a new valve for it.  No dice, even though he found what looked like the same one there the insides were totally different.

I bought a Vermont Castings grill from a grill dealer.  I was told if I got one at HD and I needed parts in the future that she would not be able to get them for me, as mine was an American made version and theirs was made overseas.  Sure enough, when I compared the two before buying, the one at HD had lower quality burners and valves. BTW, 8 years later my higher priced American made grill still works perfectly, even the electric igniter!

One of the local power equipment dealers had a side by side comparison on their floor with snow blowers, their troy-built vs a lowes troy-bilt.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  Same deal, "don't come to us for parts for a "box store" unit we won't be able to get them"..

You get what you pay for.  I hate buying drill bits there in a pinch, when the last one I got there broke the first time I used it.  Nothing but junk.  My Dewalt cordless drill I've had for at least 10 years and used a lot I got at Sears, still going strong.  I've only had it serviced at a local power tool service company once when the motor got a little noisy and the brushes were arcing.  I think I paid $100 more then than they sell for at HD NOW.  Tell you anything?

Just my .02 on my experiences.

Doesn't really tell me anything. All of the shop makitas came from a hardware store here in town. My dad buys all his tools from Home Depot and Lowes, puts them thru **** and hasn't had a problem yet with his Dewalt or Milwaukee stuff. Some of his Dewalt stuff is going on 10 years. With the exception a buying batteries he hasn't had to put any other money into servicing them. Like I said the 9.6 volt stuff we had lasted a long time. Never really had any problems other then switches going bad. They bought 8 new 12 volt guns and burned the clutches out in all of them in 3 months. Now they bought the same version of Milwaukee guns so we'll see how long they last.