Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Scotty extension?

9 posts in this topic

Anyone here use the Scotty rod holder extension? I really need one in my Redfish as it's too much of a reach to fish effectively for me. I'm worried that trolling around with a T&W and getting a huge hit may result in a rod overboard and a snapped extension?

I've taken fish over 34" on T/W using the extension in my Tarpon and never had an issue.

Haven't slammed a serious cow yet, but I am confident I would be able to grab the rod before it snapped off or even got close to that point.

i have caught big fish on in my scotty extensions but when i troll i use live line reels or lever drags set in a light strike position never had any problems flipping from strikes.

Light drag. But that loses fish.

I like the Ram Tube for this very reason. I like that when a big fish hits, the tube can 'swing' or 'pivot' on the ram ball. This lets me run a bit tighter drag and also position the holder so that little swing backward after the strike actually assists me in taking the rod butt out of the tube. It hits, the tube swings back, the rod slides out and bang I stick it.

Or miss it cause I suck.

But thats not Ram's fault. :D

its heavy enough to set the hook but light enough not to flip your yak once you crank the handle your at your at the set poundage it seems to work well for me

From my experience all the Scotty Extensions can take big fish abuse. The 254 has the stainless bar so there is less flex over the 259. I don't know about the newer 459 mini extender. I would imagine it would be ok.

Got my extension. You guys are right...it's beefy. Much thicker than what it looked like in the picture. 18 bucks shipped from Amazon too. :D Can't wait to try it out! No more reaching a mile for a bite.