Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luyber

confuson over Torque 5 bailess

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Just pulled the trigger on a torque 5 bailess today.  Received almost a too good to be true deal for a "new in box".  I called Penn in philly to see if they would "stand behind the product" if the reel is really is too good to be true i.e. not a new reel or trying to sell an early prototype as new reel.  As always they say they would stand behind it 100% and handle any issues.  After long discussions of my intended use/abuse of the reel, they mentioned several times that the reel was "not water proof only water resistant".  I told them I expect the reel to handle the same level of abuse as a VS or ZB.  They again reiterated that it was not "waterproof or water tight, just water resistant"  So which is it?  Can I expect it to perform like a VS or ZB?  I have fished with penn almost exlusively since childhood.  Hoping I will not be dissappointed.  I have read several of the previous post (on this site) on the reel and they were a signifiant factor for my purchase.

PS My first post.  I have very impressed with site and the online community.  Thanks again for you comments/assistance

Welcome to the site......Your first post is a Doozy..lol

I don't own the reel in question. But have worked on one and stripped another. It is sealed as well as the others for the most part. The actual owners on the site could cime in and would know better though. The one I worked on was relatively new and saw no dunkings as of this post.

6 pages by sunday. ;)

I would say that you should expect a performance that would rival a Zee or VS, but NOT the waterproof aspect of it. I really think that if you want a hardcore reel that can handle serious dunkage, you need to stick with those 2 reels and not much else. Otherwise, I'm sure the Penn is great.

In short.....if they are backing way away from the "waterproof" side of the reel...then no..you cannot expect the reel to perform like a Zee or VS since that is one of the reels biggest features.

just bought mine and have yet to cast it, read the reviews in surfcaters journal on it and  hawks review on it, i think it may be on here actually, from the sounds of it it should hold up to the standards of the zees os vss, but you spoke with a rep, how much fishing do you actually think that rep does...

Just pulled the trigger on a torque 5 bailess today.  Received almost a too good to be true deal for a "new in box".  I called Penn in philly to see if they would "stand behind the product" if the reel is really is too good to be true i.e. not a new reel or trying to sell an early prototype as new reel.  As always they say they would stand behind it 100% and handle any issues.  After long discussions of my intended use/abuse of the reel, they mentioned several times that the reel was "not water proof only water resistant".  I told them I expect the reel to handle the same level of abuse as a VS or ZB.  They again reiterated that it was not "waterproof or water tight, just water resistant"  So which is it?  Can I expect it to perform like a VS or ZB?  I have fished with penn almost exlusively since childhood.  Hoping I will not be dissappointed.  I have read several of the previous post (on this site) on the reel and they were a signifiant factor for my purchase.

PS My first post.  I have very impressed with site and the online community.  Thanks again for you comments/assistance

welcome Luyber,,,

I do not own the penn reel but,I would say it should perform greatly.,prolly smoother than the others mentioned.

as for the water intrusion,there is a big diff between the resistant and proof,the water proof should not allow ANY water inside,water RESISTANT can allow some water in,how much is the thing.

at any rate stay on it and clean,grease it well and on a regular basis,,,,,good luck with it,,,,

H-H

:p

Fished mine from Aug til the end of Nov with consistent dunking and had no issues, 4-6 to six times a week and didn't wash it until Dec. You will be fine It's a great reel and I reach for it more than my VS 250. Casts like a dream with 30 # braid.

The best thing is taking the side cover off to do any maintenance is easy with standard tools. I haven't fished mine to the extreme yet though I made a point to dunk it last year and all was fine!!

I've found mine to be water tight, but having now serviced both I think my vs has more robust seals. But I wouldn't hesitate to get that Penn wet- I know I have.

just bought mine and have yet to cast it, read the reviews in surfcaters journal on it and  hawks review on it, i think it may be on here actually, from the sounds of it it should hold up to the standards of the zees os vss, but you spoke with a rep, how much fishing do you actually think that rep does...

I don't think the rep needs extensive fishing experience with it, if he is a rep that's on the inside he should know exactly what it's capability is.

This is surprising to me, the Torque was labeled as a waterproof reel going way back in it's proto stages and many bought it for that reason alone. Most wont spend that kind of money unless they know it is. Now, if Penn is just trying to play it safe just in case there are problems i could understand, but to now call it just water resistant. That doesn't fly with me

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnnashman View Post

I don't think the rep needs extensive fishing experience with it, if he is a rep that's on the inside he should know exactly what it's capability is.

This is surprising to me, the Torque was labeled as a waterproof reel going way back in it's proto stages and many bought it for that reason alone. Most wont spend that kind of money unless they know it is. Now, if Penn is just trying to play it safe just in case there are problems i could understand, but to now call it just water resistant. That doesn't fly with me

how is he going to know what the reel is actually capable of unless he uses it for its intended purpose extensively?

how is he going to know what the reel is actually capable of unless he uses it for its intended purpose extensively?

Remember i said someone on the inside. These people should know every aspect of the reel, including it's abilities, deficiencies, the rubber seal capabilities and what pressure they can withstand before water leakage becomes a potential problem and so on.

You don't think that they throw a reel out there without knowing what it's function is and it's design limits. The field testers offer ideas on improvements but the design team are very well aware and have already submerged the reel and know how it should perform.

This should have been posted in the Penn fishing forum. I'm sure they would gladly chime in on this subject matter. :read:

You know the way Penn fishing forums is presented it's easy to miss, i always mean to stop in there, it seems i have to really look for it instead of it being in an obvious spot, the other forums kind of jump out at you.

If it was presented under Fishing tackle manufacturers forums instead of (premium fishing brands) (direct connect) and (premium fishing insiders) it would be far simpler. I would bet i am the only one who thinks this, and believe me it won't be a surprise because my thinking is never inside the box lol.

This should have been posted in the Penn fishing forum. I'm sure they would gladly chime in on this subject matter. :read:

You know the way Penn fishing forums is presented is very easy to miss, i always mean to stop in there but where i always assume it should be (next to reel maintenance forums) it's not so i just go back to the main forum or rod building forum.

If it was presented under Fishing tackle manufacturers forums instead of (premium fishing brands) (direct connect) and (premium fishing insiders) it would be far simpler. I would bet i am the only one who thinks this, and believe me it won't be a surprise because my thinking is never inside the box lol.

While i'm voicing how i think things can be improved(not that there's anything wrong with them) i'll throw this in. I would darken the text for the community forums, the how to forums and regional forums, make them stand out, i always have to look for them because the text looks so close in shade to the different forums that they are trying to show you..