Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charloots

US Marines disarmed for Panetta's visit

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

No sense at all. I can't wait to hear the explanation.

why would they take guns out of soldier's hands in a war zone? makes no sense to me unless they thought one of the guys was about to go nuts. every other afghan is walking around with an AK and they're worried about 200 marines hurting panetta? sounds crazy.

Got to say, back in the early 70s in VN, the brass made everyone....everyone... turn in their weapons when they weren't on duty. They were shooting officers and NCOs, each other (black and white and druggies), themselves (to go home.)

The brass is again losing faith in the troops and that is what this is about. Very bad sign indeed.

"Security around Sec Penetta appeared tighter than normal after the incident. As troops gathered, to hear him speak, Marine Sgt Major Brandon Hall announced "something has come to light", and ordered the assempled Marines to remove weapons from the premises.

Officials said later the order was given to ensure that the Afghan soldiers, who were required to be unarmed, didn't feel slighted. The order was not related to the incident on the runway, Mr Little, Pentagon spokeman said."

WSJ 3/15 pg. A8

"

Officials said later the order was given to ensure that the Afghan soldiers, who were required to be unarmed, didn't feel slighted. WSJ 3/15 pg. A8

That is abhorrent.

Mr Little?

Did Panetta's security detail remove their weapons too?

I doubt it, we couldn't be leaving the SECDEF unprotected, now could we?

The ironic thing is, that he would never be safer than he if he had those 200 armed to the teeth Marines ready to go ape on any threat.

The ironic thing is, that he would never be safer than he if he had those 200 armed to the teeth Marines ready to go ape on any threat.

Your assurance, service branch aside, that a Major Nidal Malik Hasan, would not attempt to eliminate Sec Penatta gives me no comfort.

Your assurance, service branch aside, that a Major Nidal Malik Hasan, would not attempt to eliminate Sec Penatta gives me no comfort.

In that case, Panetta shouldn't have used the Marines as props; they shouldn't have been near him. Better yet, he should've stayed home instead of disarming US Marines.

If a Military leader can't trust his own troops not to shoot him, isn't that a symptom of a big problem?

If the Marines a threat to the SECDEF, isn't that mutiny?

If a Military leader can't trust his own troops not to shoot him, isn't that a symptom of a big problem?

If the Marines a threat to the SECDEF, isn't that mutiny?

It's always been a problem. This is nothing new. Remember fragging and other similar terms used for centuries to describe the killing of superiors by the rank and file?

It has happened in the past and will continue to occur in future conflicts. It comes with the territory. Retreat to the safety of your bedroom, or otherwise man up, face the reality of the situation and try to make something of your life and the life of others.

Dying ain't hard, it's living that's hard.

... Better yet, he should've stayed home instead of disarming US Marines.

Your suggesting that past protocol called for only disarming the Afghan attendees and not the Marines at functions such as these. I'd like to see evidence of that.