Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
biggstriper

In-Line Spinnerbaits

28 posts in this topic

I haven't seen a thread about them in the last year or so- so I thought it'd be OK to make another one. I watched an old In-Fisherman video about river Smallmouth Bass fishing and they gave some good tips about using these lures for them. I cast a couple of the ones I have over at a pond and like the action they have. For some reason I didn't think they worked like they should when I tried to use them in 2010 (didn't fish freshwater last year).

The lures I'm talking about are a couple of the Rooster Tail spinners. I have a chartruese one that's probably a 1/2 oz. and a white one that's probably 1/4 oz.

Is anyone using these baits these days?

I'll be trying mine out this weekend.

I started using them many years ago, the Mepps Aglia is what I used. I use them now mostly for panfish, but sometimes use them in streams for Smallmouths. I have some Roostertails, some Blue Fox, a couple of Panther Martin's a few other bought ones and several home made. I seldom use anything larger than 1/8 oz, and use them with an ultralight spinning rod. I think they do best when the spinner is just spinning, at the slowest retrieve possible, but there are times faster is better. Some of the home made ones only have a single hook on them instead of a treble, and I'll sometimes put a curltail grub on them.

I've been looking at a bigger inline, made by Terminator. It's got the body & spinner, but uses an offset worm hook. The pictures I've seen show a fluke type plastic on it, but I think it will work with some others too. The advantage to this is it can be rigged snagless. The regular spinners with trebles will snag & pick up debris. I like the idea of being able to toss this around pilings & things without getting it hung up. I'm going to try to make some of them, and in some different sizes too.

One thing I've learned about using spinners, is to use a good swivel. I add a ball bearing swivel to the front of the ones I make or use a snap & ball bearing swivel on bought spinners. They can twist the heck out of your line.

I like panther martins alot. It takes less resistance to get it to spin allowing you work areas slower and present in front of fish longer. Also a black and gold mepps always gets thrown in cloudy water and produces very well.

I've been looking at a bigger inline, made by Terminator. It's got the body & spinner, but uses an offset worm hook. The pictures I've seen show a fluke type plastic on it, but I think it will work with some others too. The advantage to this is it can be rigged snagless. The regular spinners with trebles will snag & pick up debris. I like the idea of being able to toss this around pilings & things without getting it hung up. I'm going to try to make some of them, and in some different sizes too.

is this what youre talking about?

Thats a terminator inline spinner i picked up awhile ago, I have a few of them, i think they come in 3/8 oz and 5/8 oz - theyre good baits, Ive caught with both sizes and theyre durable, I bought them for pike but have caught bass with them as well

Yep, that's it, real good looking lure! I like tossing regular spinnerbaits, but I think that one could have a lot of uses too!

Even in a smaller size it could be a good lure. I have some size 2 worm hooks, Owner Rig N hooks I'm going to try to make those in about 1/8 oz & see how they do.

I remember a Mepps that had a plastic fish trailer, and I caught the heck out of all kinds of fish with it. The one I had was rather small too. I think something like this Terminator would do great in a smaller size too.

I'm a big fan of in-line spinners. I've caught everything from pickerel to largemouth on them. I just went to my lake the other day and caught a bass on my second cast with an inline spinner.

that terminator bait is nice, but I have had trouble keeping the blades turning due to the fact that the shaft is pretty thick.

My favorite is the blue fox minnow spin in firetiger!

[img=

the 1/4 oz seems to produce the most!

CANNOT BE BEATEN!

2nd choice is the 1/8 oz roostertail in Firetiger.

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3281923/width/400/height/316]

Both super lures for early spring.

When the algae bloom starts up (which it seems to have been starting already due to the warm winter) I tend to move toward weightless texas rigged plastics to avoid the algae ball that I get on anything with a treble hook!

Tight lines folks.............. - bill

Ok seriously..... Here is one that I received as a gift this past week that I want to try tonight.

It's the Felmlee Medium Spin Min

I will report back to let you know how it works.

I I add a ball bearing swivel to the front of the ones I make or use a snap & ball bearing swivel on bought spinners. They can twist the heck out of your line.

How many of you guys use swivels w/ spinners? I like the idea of a tiny ball bearing swivel to minimize line twist but in the gradient freestone streams I use them in I loose a lot of tackle. Good ball bearing snap swivels, even small ones aren't cheap. I'd think it might also add bulk/weight that might adveresly effect the presentation of a small (1/8 or smaller) spinner.

What do you guys think?

JD

How many of you guys use swivels w/ spinners? I like the idea of a tiny ball bearing swivel to minimize line twist but in the gradient freestone streams I use them in I loose a lot of tackle. Good ball bearing snap swivels, even small ones aren't cheap. I'd think it might also add bulk/weight that might adveresly effect the presentation of a small (1/8 or smaller) spinner.

What do you guys think?

JD

I always use a BB swivel when I use inline spinners, from the tiny ones for panfish/trout to the larger size for pike

Good news, guys! I used a 1/2 oz. white Roostertail this weekend and caught two nice size Smallmouth Bass with them. I like the way the spinner is already moving fast and the fish really hook themselves. The fish put on a good show. I didn't have my camera with me so only grabbed the fish by the lip and unhooked/released them. The lure does get caught on rocks pretty easily and I had to wade in and get it free one time but I saved the lure. :)

Good point on line twist/swivels. I hadn't thought of that. I didn't seem to have too much of a problem with line twist. Maybe they should put a swivel on at the factory.

I thought I was going to leave swvels/leaders behind me when I switched over to FW from surf fishing. :confused: