Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfmanTX

Any Recent News on Newell?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

The last I heard Valley Manufacturing was moving/moved and has no plans in the near future of building reels. I have tried contacting them but have gotten no response. I really have not heard anything recently so I was wondering does anyone have any recent news?

Thanks,

SurfmanTX

The Newell tooling is packed and ready to ship to whomever wants it. Valley is looking for a buyer. If it finds one, odds are it'll be in China.

That sucks they are a good reel. :(

The Newell tooling is packed and ready to ship to whomever wants it. Valley is looking for a buyer. If it finds one, odds are it'll be in China.

Thanks for the update. I have not heard that. That really stinks they are selling it. Hopefully a US company will buy it but like the last poster said it will probably go to China. The only plus to that is at least I will be able to get parts again.

Thanks again,

SurfmanTX

If you are still using your Newell, be careful with it.

I still use the G series heavily. Luckilly they are pretty much bullet proof if you do not drop them and crack something.

Old man 'Carl' is rolling over in his grave about now.

You used to call him up for spare parts, and get a few stories to boot.

after 30+ years, I have only needed to replace my bearings and drag washers. Say that about most of the new reels...

Old man 'Carl' is rolling over in his grave about now.

You used to call him up for spare parts, and get a few stories to boot.

after 30+ years, I have only needed to replace my bearings and drag washers. Say that about most of the new reels...

I have been using them for around 15 years and the only thing I have replaced are drag washers and a couple screws which I boogered up myself. Great reels for what they were made for. I never dealt with Carl directly. All my dealings were with Norma. She was awesome. She new every generation and sub-generations and exactly what part was needed for each.

Newells were great reels but are is desperate need of upgrades. I will be pretty surprised if they ever come back at this point.

I do wish that I bought one of the clear 220's that they made though...

I had some interest myself in Newell's and sent an email to the gal, Yuliana at Valley. Here is her response:

Good morning James,

Unfortunately, Newell is currently relocating so there are no reels & parts available.

Please feel free to check back late April.

Thank you.

Hopefully a US company will buy them and put them back into production. Even if they just buy the parts inventory and make some available.

Hopefully a US company will buy them and put them back into production.

But why? They were in production and weren't selling all that well, that's why they're no longer actually in production.... The kind of reel that everyone like but never buys. There are far better options available now.

But why? They were in production and weren't selling all that well, that's why they're no longer actually in production.... The kind of reel that everyone like but never buys. There are far better options available now.

Better options? The newer reels don't do well in the beach environment and are difficult to service. The Newell gives enough distance for the surf and maintenance is a breeze. Most newer guys don't take the time to master revolving spool reels without cast controls and therefore the newer designs become a default option. There is no substitute for an educated thumb.

Marc