Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HatterasJack

Tonight - I heard a major news commentator state that

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

It will depend on where you moved your money to within your 401K. I didn't have a 401K back in 07/08 so i can't say about mine. But I will tell you about my wife's brother. He had some money inherited and left it in a 401K. lost half the money in the stock market dive. He left the money alone and didn't move it from the funds they were in and today his portfolio is back above where it was in 07/08. BUT take into account that was what 4 years ago. Being back even is nice and all but thats still a zero return in 4 years.

Now, if you took your money and moved it into a money market fund or a huge chunk into bonds and missed the stock market rally your probably not even close to where you were in 07/08. Like all investments it depends on what you did with your money. Chances are if you kept the money in growth stocks your portfolio is doing fine. Anything else and your still screwed.....

John

Is it really back or is this just the result of the treasury dept and fed policy flushing the value of the dollar down the drain?

I mean what has the market really rebuilt on. We have some bright spots but most of this run up is because of free money from the fed.

Is it really back or is this just the result of the treasury dept and fed policy flushing the value of the dollar down the drain?

I mean what has the market really rebuilt on. We have some bright spots but most of this run up is because of free money from the fed.

if your 401k investment fund is based on the market

you don't give a rat's arse for the reason(s) why

why?

you either made money or lost money or your back where you were 4 years ago

Your dollar is not worth nearly as much as it used to be. We have essentailly spent the last 4 years reinflating the bubble with borrowed money.

My parents taught me a long time ago it's never a good idea to build a foundation out of thin air.

Your dollar is not worth nearly as much as it used to be. We have essentailly spent the last 4 years reinflating the bubble with borrowed money.

My parents taught me a long time ago it's never a good idea to build a foundation out of thin air.

and the answer to this would be keep your money in your closet safe ?

why?

Money is a symbol or work (or potential work).

If you had $10 and you could buy 5 loaves of bread with it, and the market tanked.. and now you are back to having $10, the question is can you still buy 5 loaves with that $10. Since it would now buy something like 4 loaves, you have lost "money" since your buying power is eroded.

the answer is get out of cash. every time the fed prints paper currency they are devaluing the dollars you already have. that doesn't even take inflation into account.

I'm still down from 2007, but mine is a somewhat special circumstance as i worked for the biggesgt bankruptcy in american history

Don't know. All I can tell you is things, economically speaking are not nearly as rosy as our government would have you believe.

why?

the cost of living went up a lot faster than the stock market did in the same time period

getting back to dow 13,000 is dandy, but it's an illusion if you take into account what it took to get back here

Just out curiosity, what is a lot more expensive today than in the summer of 2008, other than gold?

Housing is certainly less for those in the market.

Gas is still less, although probably not for long.

Food is a bit more.

My utility bill is lower.

My cable bill is lower.

My cell phone bill is lower.

The recession made me a smarter consumer.

anyone have a ballpark of what a money market fund yield may be today - spring 2012 ?

cause clearly - having money in the bank is no different than having it in your closet safe from an investment standpoint

as for the 401k investment(s) being back to where they were in 07/08

and having lost 4 years of investment growth/profitability during that 4 year period

hell, that's life ...

at least ya have something back again

if you live by the premise that each year should produce growth - you're living in a dreamworld

and Goldman Sachs will label you a "muppet"