Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beachfish

Gonna need a new vehicle soon I think...

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

All: would like some opinions...I just made a post on the Beach Buggy Forum about buying a new SUV but I'd like opinions from the Delmarva group as well...please look at that post if you have the time..

The bottom line of that post is that my 03 Ford Explorer has cost me a lot of $ fixing stuff and I don't think I'm going to be able to rely on it much longer, so I'm probably going to have to buy a new SUV soon. Wanting a new mid size SUV (don't want a pickup...wont go into all the reasons for that) with low range 4WD, seems to me my 2012 model choices are limited to Nissan Pathfinder or Exterra, or Toyota 4Runner.

Anyone got opinions on these choices (reliability, problems, on-road ride, or anything else based upon ownership/experience with recent model years of these vehicles?) Or, am I overlooking other mid-size SUV choices for beach and everyday use?

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

It will be interesting to see the response. I myself hav been thinking about a new 4 runner, I currently have a murano which get great gas mileage etc, all around great vehicle until you have to deal with Nissan's service dept. So the wife and I will be jumping ship and trying Toyota. Of course we live in FL so 4wheel drive is not that important. Also like the pathfinder too, but the new model comes out soon and bad experiences with the service department.

Toyota hands down. This is from an accident safety, reliability, and resale value stand point. This is coming from a Ford man, but on those three subjects I'm spot on.

Thanks for the responses so far....

to follow up and for clarification if you please.......

pwf....what model year 4Runner do you have?

PinMd....is your response based upon owning a paticular Toyota model now or in the recent past?

DAndrews......What model year Explorer did you have?

Again...Thanks for all the feedback ...I really appreciate it. Not looking forward to getting back into monthly vehicle payments, but since I must I place a great value on seeking a variety of "real folks-up to date" observations and opinions.

I might not get that from the salesman!!!;)

your looking for and SUV? last year I researched SUV's and pickups for specifically OSV usage. I was looking for fuel comsumption and long term ownership. I was not looking for ultimate power with our going broke for fuel. If I wanted ultimate towing and power hands down a Ford. Economy overroad ultimate. 4door p/u overroad SUV. Man it took 4 months to make a decision but bought a Tacoma 4 door 6 foot bed, TRD Sport. I have been on AI va, AI md, Delaware beachs without incident. Even tried running a wash during high tide in low 4wd (not for the timid) That 6 cyl did the job. Put a cap on the back  with a roof rack to hold the rods and am happy as can be. 22-24 mpg on the highway, 18 mpg combined. Hope this helps

Surfnuts

Beach,

My response is based on my experince as an insurance auto appraiser for the past going on 9 years. I get to write estimates, hear about vehicle troubles both claim related and not, see the vehicles torn down, total loss them and come up with the ACV {actual cash value}, see what the total losses sell for at the salvage auction, and most of all, see how they hold up in an accident.

I put all SUV's in four classes. American {Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep ect} Low end foreign {Kia, Suzuki, Hyundai, Mazda} Middle Foreign {Honda, Toyota, Nissan} and High end foreign {Lexus, BMW, Benz, Porsch, ect}.

Your American stuff all has the same track record of stuff breaking, reliability, resale {sucks} and poor quality control.

The low end foreign stuff is not much better. Kia and Hyundai have come a long way, but with most of these your still getting something built on a car chassis.

The middle of the road stuff is where its at for all the things I mentioned in my first post. Toyota and Honda hold their value better then then most vehicles out there, car, truck or SUV. Honda does a little better then Toyota in value, but Honda is still a more car like chassis, with car engines and transmissions. Not saying I'd never take a Honda Pilot out on the sand, but I think the Toyota would hold up better and peform better. The Nissans are nice, but I hear about too many little quirky problems. Tire pressure sensors going bad, speed sensors bad, front hub and bearing needing replaced at 40,000 miles, stuff like that.

I totaled a beat to hell '93 Toyota 4x2 pick up a couple weeks ago, had like 252,000 miles on it. The accident damage was a LT side T-bone. It needed a LT fender, door, and LT side of the cab cut off and replaced. The thing sold at the salvage auction for $1500!!!! Had the same truck been a Ford, Chevy, and Dodge we'd of got around $300. That tells you what kind of record they have.

Like I said, I'm a Ford man. I worked at Ford dealers in parts and the body shop for about 13 years all together before going to work for the Ins Co. The last dealer I worked at also sold Subarus. Almost every new Ford they sold would end up in the body shop to have a door adjusted, water or air leak fixed, bumper aligned, stuff like that. We never had to do any on this to the Subarus.

That being said, the next one I buy will be a Ford. I need a truck that will tow and haul. My 2005 F-150 is getting the job done barley, and that little 5' bed is killing me. It's great on the sand.

I'll give a project. Go to Cars.com. Put in you zip, select used vehicles, search for last years models of the ones your considering. Look at what they are asking vs the price of the new ones. Theres usually not that much diff on the better vehicles.

Hope this helps. And if you find something you like and want to run the numbers, pm me. Phil

Toyota-

I just got a 2011 4Runner SR5. I traded in a 2006 Sequoia with 110,000 miles and got $13,500 for it. The only reason I got rid of it was for tax reasons.How many vehicles with that many miles are you getting this kind of money for? The dealer sold it in a week for just under 18. I bought the Sequoia 3 years ago used with 30,000 miles on it. It has not let me down ever. It has been on the beach many times. I think toyota makes their suv vehicles a little better because of the global market they are sold in and the conditions they have to be driven in globaly. When I'm driving on the beach the engine just doesn't seem to be working very hard They have alot of low end torque that I don't think you will find anything equal in it's class. I could not afford to get a replcement Sequoia plus I'm driving in downtown DC all the time now so I wanted something a little smaller but just as capable. I have been very happy with the 4Runner so far. Got 5700 miles in 7 weeks already. Make sure you get the tow package it comes with the tranmission cooler. Plus Toyotas are inexpensive to maintain.

xterra, best SUV i have had.... now if i could get a truck, and afford to even drive it anymore, i would. i like the titan as well.

I have 110K on my Xterra now...TONS of beach mileage and I've had no problems with it. When it dies I'll buy another. The gas mileage is good for this type of vehicle and better on the sand than most as I don't need 4-wheel drive on the beach. I've beat the crap outta this thing and it's kept right on going. Plus I don't have to sit in the cab of a vehicle made by the company that made the single largest donation to the audubon society :th:.

Nissan service for me has been excellent, far better than ford service. I'm not sure it's company related, I think it just depends on the individual dealer.

Plus I don't have to sit in the cab of a vehicle made by the company that made the single largest donation to the audubon society

yep, ill never own one... less they fix that ****** :mad:

Im sure they just wanted to look 'green', but that $ IS being used to take our freedom away. Even if it is 'indirectly' like Toyota says...

We weren't the only ones giving Toyota grief about their $20m contribution to the Audubon Society. The Green Company That Also Sells Gas-Guzzlin' Trucks has gone on the defensive after readers of their Open Road blog castigated the Japanese automaker for the largesse. It seems the National Audubon Society is one of the plaintiffs in a suit against the National Park Service for alleged failure to regulate beach driving at the Cape Hatteras National Seashore in North Carolina. Readers felt Toyota's donation "is being used against people who use their 4-wheel drive vehicles" and "to help fund the closure of the beaches of the Outer Banks of NC." ToMoCo says not so. After all, "we build and sell four-wheel-drive vehicles that have developed an enviable reputation in the four-wheeling community and many of us here are enthusiastic four-wheelers." To that end, their donation "will be used only to fund conservation projects, train environmental leaders and offer volunteer opportunities, not for lobbying or legal efforts." Yes but… a contribution of that size will free Audubon to redirect organizational funds that would have been used for those purposes, increasing their legal and lobbying firepower.

I don't think many on this forum knows this little fact.

Aside from the donation to the Audobon Society, the new 4-Runner design is fugly.

My Wrangler doesn't get on the beach as much as it should, but it is a great beach buggy.

Most beach driving recently has been in a Nissan Pathfinder owned by another board member. Big :th: to that vehicle.