Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Need a $100 and under reel...

39 posts in this topic

I've decided to upgrade my Freshwater gear with not so crappy stuff. Nothing "great", but at least better. Had a 15 yr old Ugly Lite which is getting retired finally for a new Abu Garcia Veritas 7' Medium rod.

My old crappy Okuma Stratus just lost the anti-reverse it seems too. Need a reel.

Anyone have a decent recommendation for a reel under 100 bucks?

How are the Shimano Sedona's? Go better?

Quantum Escalade? 70 bucks? Seems okay at best?

I mainly bass fish from the Yak and trout fish.

Thanks peeps. :D

you cant go wrong with the plueger president's,,,,i got a few of them.....great reel for the money

You know...I have never owned a Pflueger......no reason why.....just never tried one.

Daiwa Tierra. They used to be $115. But I'm sure you can find one on the big auction site for less.

I should of mentioned. Spinning, lol. Oh..that is a spinning reel to!! :o

Id go sedona, for 100dollars get that and throw some fireline on it, cant go wrong i have a 1000model and have caught 6+lb bass, tons of panfish, trout and anything else from fluke to small mahi

Maybe you should put up a WTB thread for a new Shimano Stradic FI 2500 in the BST. This is the model before he newest FJ model. I have seen some new ones on there go for under $100 in the past 6 months or so. The Stradic is a great reel and won,t break the bank. I have had one for many years with no issues.

That Daiwa Aird is a nice little reel... I bought my nephew one of the smallest size for Christmas. Pretty nice... The largest "4000" size looks like a decent inshore reel for cheap too. That said if you want to go Shimano, get on ebay and pick up a saros f or symetre fj... They are both great reels and will last for you.... right in the $100 range, the symetre maybe a little less.

For that price you have a bunch of options. Shimano you have the older Stradics (which most likely will be used), Symetre, and the Sahara are the ones I'd recommend. Ive had a Sahara 2500 for 4 years now without a single hiccup. Shimanos are notorious for being a pain to take apart though. They have a pinion on there which if its not seated properly when you put them back together can cause issues.

Pfleugers you can look at the President series as well as the the President XT and the Supreme series. All of them are solid reels yet I dont like their sizing. The 35 size reels are in the same class as the 2500 Shimanos however they feel a little bulkier to me and Im not a big fan of that for bass. Trout however I dont think Ill ever stray from the President series. 7 years now, several times submerged for long periods of time wading and never ever had an issue. Very simple to break down and self service too.

Daiwa - Eh, Ive used the lower end stuff, and their higher end stuff is really nice. You can look into their Exceler series as well as the new Arid (yet it hasnt been out long so not sure how it holds up).

Abu Garcia has a bunch of nice spinners under the $100 price point. The Orra S and the SX are both solid reels for that range. The SX will only give you more refinement in the reel and thats pushing right at 100 bucks.

Only company Ill try to steer you away from is the Quantums. Their baitcasters seem to be great, however I have had nothing but headaches with their spinners in terms of chewing my line apart.

In terms of line however, depends what you throw most of the time. Spinners I usually go with some sort of a copolymer or a flouro coated line. Ive actually really taken a liking to the Stren Flourocast. P-Line and Gamma are my two favorite copolymers however and Ive heard good reports about the Cabelas brand Flouro lines which are pretty cheap.

Good luck to whatever you choose! Nothing beats going to a store and picking them all up and seeing which one fits you best. Same thing as in testing a rod. I can love it and you can hate it and vise versa.

No joke,

I've been using mine ( first of the 4 I still use) for 43 years.

Dad gave me my first and it's built like a tank.

NIB ones pop up on fleabay all the time and are usually under 40-45 bucks.

Just sayin'

I just felt up the veritas and man it sure is lite definatly gonna be my next rod.. For reel recommendation I like the orra sx it feels solidly built, spins friction free. I think it would be a good looking set up too

I just felt up the veritas and man it sure is lite definatly gonna be my next rod.. For reel recommendation I like the orra sx it feels solidly built, spins friction free. I think it would be a good looking set up too

Stay away from the Veritas! As a matter of fact, avoid most of Abu's rods. Plenty of guys on my team use the Veritas's, and they hate them. The guides and reel seats are absolutely junk. A good buddy of mine lost a 5 lber two days ago because his reel seat snapped on the hookset. The weight and price tag will draw you in...but it's not worth it. If you're looking for something in that range, I recommend the All Star ASR rod series. hands down the best rod for $100 that I've fished. I own three. Also, take a look at the Triumph and Mojo series by St Croix, and the Compre and Convergence by Shimano. I'll vouch for those rods, they are all incredible. Especially the Mojo, they're my favorite out of that bunch!

The Pflueger President is a great reel for the price, I've got the 35 series and I love it. very nice drag system, and relatively light. Smooth as all hell too. Definitely can't go wrong with that reel. I've got one paired with a 6'6" Medium Triumph, great shaky head combo.

Abu's reels are way solid, they are basically all I use besides a couple Curado's and Chronarch's. Definitely take a peek at those. A lot of guys on my team love the Orra S.