Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ibe333333

Anyone ever stock a freshwater pond themselves?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hello guys and gals,

Just looking for some insight on this. I have a pond in my backyard, its surrounded by houses probably about half way around with a park/basketball court on the other end. It a decent size pond.

I am wondering if I can stock this pond myself so I sent an email to the Mass Division of Fisheries and they mentioned needing a permit to stock but didn't mention anything on how to get this permit. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

The permit can be obtained through masswildlife. Contact them again ask how to go about getting the permit.

What are you stocking?

Probably just stock brown trout/rainbow trout, if i can find a striped bass, I would probably throw it in there too but I think a striped bass will probably disrupt that little ecosystem in my backyard

As a teenager My self and the duff boys threw a bunch of schoolies that we caught at gibbs narrows into bumps pond one year.....we figured we would let them grow out.....sell them and make some fast cash......the idea's you get as a kid..........

I am thinking that water quality would have to be really good and fed by a nice cold spring for trout to be able to live in that pond for any length of time. And would probably need some decent depth to it too so they could live beneath the thermocline during the warmer months. Largemouth however? Go fishing every evening, load up the live well, go home and throw them in the pond when its dark and no one can see you. You can buy bulk live shad on line too.

As a teenager My self and the duff boys threw a bunch of schoolies that we caught at gibbs narrows into bumps pond one year.....we figured we would let them grow out.....sell them and make some fast cash......the idea's you get as a kid..........

It is funny you mention that. As a kid I grew up living right on Bumps and fishing it every day for years. That was about 10-15 years ago. I had heard multiple times from different guys I had run into on the water about striped bass they swear they had seen and even one or two being brought through the ice. I even saw a picture; I believe somebody on here may have posted a year or so back?

Over the years I have caught largemouth that would give those schoolies a run for their money ;)450

It is funny you mention that. As a kid I grew up living right on Bumps and fishing it every day for years. That was about 10-15 years ago. I had heard multiple times from different guys I had run into on the water about striped bass they swear they had seen and even one or two being brought through the ice. I even saw a picture; I believe somebody on here may have posted a year or so back?

Over the years I have caught largemouth that would give those schoolies a run for their money ;)450

:th: :th: :th:

Yes it was like thirty years ago we did that.......:)......There was a guy by the name of donnie, he lived on wall street that caught a twenty pound striper out of bumps on a 5 1/2 inch rebel.....he weighted it in at red top......dave knight was the clerk that weighted it and bunny was there to......I never bring it up because guys think I am BSing them..........

Horn Pout and catfish along with smalliesand large do well in small pond setups. Then again you could stock it with live eels?? Just make sure you get the proper permit as New jack posted.

The permit can be obtained through masswildlife. Contact them again ask how to go about getting the permit.

What are you stocking?

I think he's stocking Asian carp Greg.

I seriously doubt you'll be told that you can stock a pond on your own in that situation. At the least I'd expect public hearings would be required plus permission from the relevant state departments. God knows there's barely a body of water in the state larger than a postage stamp that hasn't been stocked one way or another over the years, but I suspect they'd be very sticky about such things these days.

Doin it the "right way" will likely be a nightmare of permits, dumbass clerks, and know it all state workers.

Doing it the wrong way may give you years of enjoyment, relaxation, maybe some wall hangers, and satisfaction.

Cant believe those large mouth came from Bumps.....nice.

Doin it the "right way" will likely be a nightmare of permits, dumbass clerks, and know it all state workers.

Doing it the wrong way may give you years of enjoyment, relaxation, maybe some wall hangers, and satisfaction.

Cant believe those large mouth came from Bumps.....nice.

That pic was taken 5 or 6 years ago. It doesn't seem to me like it holds as many quality fish as it did when I iused to fish it; but then again I don't fish there anywhere near as much anymore so I could be wrong.

To the OP; does this pond have any type of fish life in it already? If you started stocking it legally, or illegally; would the fish have plenty of forage to survive?

Those Asian carp are great, they help keep the water skier population in check.

That pic was taken 5 or 6 years ago. It doesn't seem to me like it holds as many quality fish as it did when I iused to fish it; but then again I don't fish there anywhere near as much anymore so I could be wrong.

To the OP; does this pond have any type of fish life in it already? If you started stocking it legally, or illegally; would the fish have plenty of forage to survive?

There are fish in there already, during the winter time, i see about 10 guys hovering around once ice hole, one pulled out what looked like a pretty decent size eel, i was about maybe 200-250 feet away and could clearly see it slithering, i spotted what looked like a 1 foot smallie just cruising back and forth below my dock last summer, but i havent had any luck yet, caught a few 6inchers but they didn't look like smallies

not really looking to introduce any crazy species like asian carps, just looking to see what possibilities are, looks like i need to do quite a bit more research on this