Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bsmith769

avet help please

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I'm confused as to which one to get and need to buy before the wife uses the money I have set aside for it. Searched on here but its a lot for surf rods. Its gonna go on a 6'6 or 7' mh penn powerstick and used for livelining/chunking stripers. Some say sx. Some mx. ********* said mxl cause it will balance better cause of the beefier handle. Ill be putting braid on it. Thanks

I personally would say the SX. Have both reels you mentioned and find myself using the SX much more. Have caught plenty of big fish on it with no issue. You really cant go wrong with either though.

I have both MXL & SX. I tend to put the MXL's on my beefier rods like the Lami BL7030C series and the new cod rods and I have my SX's on the TFX series cork handle rods.

Lighter is better unless the rod calls for a bigger reel. Since the only difference is the spool size, I would go with the MXL on your rod.

I would put both reels back on your rod and judge for your self!!

Best of Luck, Lami

Not to confuse you more..being as you will be using braid, and both reels having equal drag,,,.I do think the sx is plenty of reel for the rods you describe...BUT ...if you want a little beefier reel, another option is the MXJ.. Which is the narrow spool version of the MXL...more line cap. than the sx, same beefier frame/handle as the MXL ....just a little less width.. I find it balances better, and is just a little nicer to handle...

Not to confuse you more..being as you will be using braid, and both reels having equal drag,,,.I do think the sx is plenty of reel for the rods you describe...BUT ...if you want a little beefier reel, another option is the MXJ.. Which is the narrow spool version of the MXL...more line cap. than the sx, same beefier frame/handle as the MXL ....just a little less width.. I find it balances better, and is just a little nicer to handle...

Good Idea!!!! ;)

I'd go with the MX because you may decide to go with mono, especially if you're live-lining and the MX holds plenty of 50# mono. For your application, there is little to no benefit going with a smaller reel - all else being equal.

I just bought the SX-MC, a blue beauty with left hand retrieve - its plenty enough reel for stripers, the bait gear/setting is great for livelineing a mullet or snapper as well as good for minnow when fishing for flounder. I just got a 9' Okuma Longitude to use(used it for the first time today) I was using an 11' Emcast, its the perfect weight and you really don't need the MX unless your mainly using it from a boat - the SX is good enough for a boat and I have seen pics of 100lb BFT or YF taken with this reel.

To match up with a 7' rod the SX is the way to go.icon14.gif

Either reel will get 'er done. I just think that the MX is more versatile for a boat setup. I have and use them both MX has more line capacity which makes a difference if your fishing 150-300 feet of water 3-waying bucktails in the Gut or Race, or fishing for cod.

If you were fishing strictly from shore or near shore waters from a boat, go with the SX.

One last thing to consider is to make sure that the rod's reel seat is small enough for the SX. I have 7' boat rods that won't take the SX.

One last thing to consider is to make sure that the rod's reel seat is small enough for the SX. I have 7' boat rods that won't take the SX.

I have had this problem in the past, you just have to change the reels foot!!

[img=

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3271267/width/600/height/449' alt='449'>

I actually am looking at the same thing, and was liking the small size of the SX for the boat rod baitfishing and bouncing bucktails for bass and tog and even fluke. Can it (drag) handle fish in current? Was thinking of throwing braid on it for sensitivity sake, maybe say 40 or 50 with a flouro leader? Otherwise I was going to bump up to the bigger series with the beefier drags.

I actually am looking at the same thing, and was liking the small size of the SX for the boat rod baitfishing and bouncing bucktails for bass and tog and even fluke. Can it (drag) handle fish in current? Was thinking of throwing braid on it for sensitivity sake, maybe say 40 or 50 with a flouro leader? Otherwise I was going to bump up to the bigger series with the beefier

Have never had an issue with the SX handling fish in current.