Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Churchman

Stock or custom diverter

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Need some help on this one. When we added to the front of the Church, we matched the existing Yankee gutter on the main roofs, which had the gutters start 24" in from the gable end. They did that, I believe, because of how the Fly Rafters were extended. Now the problem with the new section is the garden beds are eroding away because of the excessive run-off. Anybody know of a diverter that is on the market that might have a 24" return, or do I have to make one out of copper. I know I've seen a white plastic one somewhere that had a nice finished look to it , but I can't find it now :mad:. The roof is slate, so any suggestions on how to tackle this would be welcome, Thanks :)

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3267270/width/600/height/338]

If ya find the plastic ones online, buy them, and install them.... In a couple of years UV rays will just degrade them until they break on ya. Then you'll be up the same creek again.

Get some copper and custom fab nice, permanent ones. You know that you dont wanna be working on that roof more than once,  wink.gif

If ya find the plastic ones online, buy them, and install them.... In a couple of years UV rays will just degrade them until they break on ya. Then you'll be up the same creek again.

Get some copper and custom fab nice, permanent ones. You know that you dont wanna be working on that roof more than once,  ;)

Afraid you were gonna say that. :). Now I've got to find a brake to borrow, or :wave: up for it?

I'll give ya a shout

can't you take a piece of copper drip edge and turn it upside down and use it as a diverter to divert the water into the gutter,

Everything I had done including the liners was done in Lead coated copper. I'm gonna order a sheet and Ben's going to go to town. Were thinking of stair stepping it, but just have to figure out how many course's, and then we will drill and nail the them in.

I'd like the first to start with a nice radius on the top return at the gable edge. Also want them to be double walled to hold up against the ice. I can solder if Ben can't :p . I've got to buy a 3' x 8' sheet, but I got a budget :). I'll post some pick's of the man it action. I'm sure he's got his own plan :), That's why I love him ;). In the end quality is what i will get :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Churchman View Post

Everything I had done including the liners was done in Lead coated copper. I'm gonna order a sheet and Ben's going to go to town. Were thinking of stair stepping it, but just have to figure out how many course's, and then we will drill and nail the them in.

I'd like the first to start with a nice radius on the top return at the gable edge. Also want them to be double walled to hold up against the ice. I can solder if Ben can't tongue.gif . I've got to buy a 3' x 8' sheet, but I got a budget smile.gif. I'll post some pick's of the man it action. I'm sure he's got his own plan smile.gif, That's why I love him wink.gif. In the end quality is what i will get smile.gif

Rob, all of my copper nails are only 1 1/4", which is fine for the asphalt shingle roofs that I usually do. I'm thinking that we'll need some longer ones to deal with the slate tiles. Ya want me to pick some up, or do you want to? I'll bring the solar seal smile.gif

We'll fabricate the pieces, fit them right, then you can show me your solder skills wink.gif

Then I'll install them all.

So John and I did the diverter's today which turned out great.

I called in the material order yesterday at Standard in Toms River. A sheet of 3' x 10' of lead coated copper. It was a little pricey, at 280.00 for a sheet :shock: but they were the only players in town. John was nice enough to pick it up on the way in. So after we got set-up, I got up on the roof, we came up with a game plan, some measurements, and John got to fabricating the piece's.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3290789/width/600/height/338]

After he bent them, I installed them by drilling a 3/16" hole through the slate and copper. Then I injected solar seal into the hole and nailed it off with copper roofers. I also put a slight pitch when I fastened them to help control the run-off. All and all I think it looks good and will function well. Here's some shots of the finished product.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3290801/width/600/height/338]

[img=

It wasn't till the end that for some reason, that I still cannot explain, John tripped me with the ladder. I fell to the ground, and dumped my entire bag. I'm still picking stuff uphttp://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3290816/width/600/height/338]

;)

All in all, it was fun to throw the bag on with the great one :) Thanks Bud

cwm27.gif

Ya know, I saw the camera on the table first thing this morning, but never saw you pick it up. Ya ben taking sniper lessons from bobp? wink.gif

Well, at least your pictures came out better than the crappy ones I got on my phone. It took some serious manuvering on my part to knock you down with that ladder. Seeing as how you were not really near it or doing anything, lol. But at least the sod broke your fall.

It's always a pleasure to spend time with you my friend! Thanks muchly for the help. And for lunch and for cleaning the sap off of my brake. Hopefully it wont snap in half the next time I use it, lol. Call me when you get your jet-pack fixed, and I'll come over and fly up and do that one last section that we couldnt reach. 

Srsly, call me when the big ladder gets there and I'll gladly come up and finish it off icon14.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitro882 View Post

Awesome!! Damn, I missed a fall! wink.gif

It was more of a stumble, plop.... But then, I didnt feel it.......

Awesome!! Damn, I missed a fall! ;)

It was more of a stumble, plop.... But then, I didnt feel it.......

Probably looked like SIM getting out of the Volvo at the motel after a night at Bum's ;)