Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xmytruck

East .vs West

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Sorry stupid question but speaking to an old friend today about fishing and he told me I got my current backwards. So correct me if I am off if the tide turns east then water is going from RR bridge to the east end and if the tide turns west it going from the east end to RR bridge.

Thx

Xmytruck

Yep. It's the opposite of wind direction, possibly why people get confused? And not a stupid question.....:)

So to keep me honest and to make sure I got it

If we have a westerly wind the wind originates from the west and flows to the east. If we have current that turns west water flows East to west.

i did that for about 2 years before i discovered SOL and a tide chart. then things all just feel into place from there. wind direction and currents are opposite and it took me almost 10 years to realize i was doing everything wrong so pat yourself on the back :clap:that is a very good question for newbies especially

My early canal experience consisted of soaking bait at night... I thought there were two currents!!:D

This despite growing up fishing mostly streams and rivers... I had just never experienced eddys on that grand of a scale.

Lemme get this straight, I the wind is out of the east the current flows to the east until the wind changes?????????????????????

What happens with a North wind?????????????????????

Easy answer, start throwing a pink caneel on a 3oz head, and hold on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy answer, start throwing a pink caneel on a 3oz head, and hold on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:th: :th: :th:

Lemme get this straight, I the wind is out of the east the current flows to the east until the wind changes?????????????????????

It's usually hot and blows from Where?

-bd

So if the wind is blowing into the canal from Cape Cod Bay (easterly) and there is a east tide, the water will be flowing out of the Sandwich end. If the wind is again blowing from CCB (easterly) and the tide is flowing westerly, The tide will flow into Buzzards Bay Is that correct.

So if the wind is blowing into the canal from Cape Cod Bay (easterly) and there is a east tide, the water will be flowing out of the Sandwich end. If the wind is again blowing from CCB (easterly) and the tide is flowing westerly, The tide will flow into Buzzards Bay Is that correct.

Take out any reference to wind, and the letters "erly" and change the word "tide" to "current"and you'll be much happier.

Tides go up and down. Currents flow. Wind blows..... unless it doesn't, or blows too hard...and then it sucks.