Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rp_carr

Penn Jigmaster for PB Fishing

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new reel for the 3-5 trips a year I make out of New Hampshire on party boats, usually Al Gauron, for bottom fish. I am currently using a 113H w/ 50 pound mono on a 6'6 Ugly Stik boat rod Heavy Action. My main motivation for getting a new reel is it seems just too big and heavy and I want to switch to braid. I think I have been over researching the new reel and have looked at a lot of different price points. I was looking at the Daiwa Saltist and single speed Avets. Then started looking at the Penn Fathom but now I'm thinking the Penn Jigmaster may offer what I need at a much lower price but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm about to order the Jigmaster but can anyone convince me a more expensive reel would be better? I see some of the other reels are a little lighter but can deal with a few extra ounces for a 100-200$ savings. I would prefer aluminum but can't picture the graphite resulting in less fish. I like how the gearing is higher than 113 H but not too fast. I def. will be using braid so braid friendly is a consideration. I jig more than bait but use both. Thanks for the input.

If you get them brand new it will be from China and only the standard width. If you look for a good used one either here in the BST or on ebay you can get the ones that were made in America. Also you can get the narrowed version either stock as the 501 or aftermarket. The narrow is prefered especially with braid.

This thread makes me feel old ... because I remember when a Jigmaster marked a serious party boat fisherman.

It'll do fine for what you describe, but like any reel designed for mono, it's unnecessarily big and heavy. It would swallow braid in dollar amount much more than the reel itself.

You'd be better off with a narrow spool of any kind; if you do buy it anyway, fill the bottom half of the spool with a heavy mono and top it off with braid.

You don't need to fill it up to the flange of the spool...works fine underspooled. It's like buying a new truck with vinyl interior, no air conditioning, no cigarette lighter, and no radio...functional but its not something you really enjoy driving. The 500 penn is the same exact thing.

Nothing wrong with a Jigmaster for what you want to do. If I were you I would get a narrow version like was suggested by others. Auction sites are a good place to look if you don't find anything in the BST.

There are other options available also. The Penn 310/320 GTI, Daiwa sealine SLX, Shimano TLD to name a few.

If your gonna' fish deep water, make sure you have a one piece spool on the reel. Otherwise the Jigmaster is all you'll ever need on a party boat. I used one for about 30 years or so before I started getting fancy.. Should have kept the 500.

What frustration? Jigmasters are everywhere.

Lol Steve I mean the frustration of worrying about the weight of the reel, and wondering if its good enough or not while using it! The things are great workhorses, but lunkers!

Thanks for the replies.I talked to a guy today who had some jigmasters for sale locally and I'm going to meet him after work tommorow. He says there in good condition and as long as they are I will buy one or two tommorow.

Your comments about line and spool size got me thinking. I had my 113H filled w/ 50 lb big game mono for two years. I switched to braid last year and had a ton of mono backing, 300 yards of braid and then about 100 yard topshot of mono which I would tie my pretied leaders (w/swivels) to. Seemed complicated.. First drop I let about 70 feet of line out and line stopped. I didn't have a backlash but it appeard the knot going from mono backing to braid got caught. Was a huge pain. Honestly I don't even remember what knot I used.I do remember researching lines and knots forever and thought I had it rigged correctly but knot may have been too big/not correct etc. HOwever, ever since this happened I was hoping to simply do braid to a top shot of mono and tie droppers straight to mono. I believe I can do braid without backing as long as spool is not plastic? I like my gear simple. But maybe with the jigmaster I will need backing? The jigmasters I'm looking at are super cheap so if they are in good conditin I am considering converting to narrow. However, after doing an internet search it sounds like it may just be too expensive. I can't imagine spending over 100$ to convert it. Would just buy a new smaller, graphite reel.

Or maybe i should stop wasting all this time over thinking how to catch cod and just use the darned 113H w/50 pound mono as tons of people have been doing for years. Nah.

Don't buy a 500 and convert it, just buy an already converted reel. You just have to keep looking and pounce on the right one, it will come along.

RP, google "slim beauty" and "Alberto knot". Both are excellent braid to mono knots and should pass through all but the smallest of guides. Remember, the heavier the mono the bulkier the knot. Heavier mono needs less turns than lighter mono. If a knot calls for 8 turns with 20lb test, then 40/50 lb test will work fine with 4 turns which will make the knot slimmer. Did you mean 100' top shot? Because a 100 yd topshot is a bit much. You might as well use all mono. All my bottom fishing is accomplished with a 35' topshot of 40 or 50 lb test.

Find yourself a nice used Penn 535GS. They can be had cheap and will serve you well for years.

Oh, and put at least a few turns of mono backing before you put on the braid, unless you put some friction tape or something else on the spool. I don't care what anyone says, the braid MIGHT slip on the spool and its not worth taking the chance.

Dont forget to cut off the little nub at the end of the knot. As flush as you can, but leave just enough of a tag end to ensure the knot is going to hold. THAT THING HURTS when the spool is spinning and your thumb is on it.