Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maruthu

Suggestion for a 11' conventional plugging rod

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I'm looking for a 2 piece 11' conventional rod rated for 2-4 oz lures. I will be using this rod to fish for GTs and Barracudas when they are feeding out far. I have rods that will get the job done when the fish are in close. The fish are about 15 to 20 pounds (average) and hence I'm not looking for anything that is really heavy. Also, I prefer a rod with 70/30 split and with quality components. So a Mojo is not what I'm looking for, but the Legend doesn't have the 3/4 to 4 oz rated rod.

I am planning to pair this rod with one of my Abu 6500/7500 reels.

Looking for some suggestions for a 11' conventional rod. Thanks, Maruthu

I have just the rod you need. It's the Any FishAnyWhere Uptide. It's 10' 9" long. wrapped conventional by Mike Thomas at Cape Cod Tackle. All fugi components and trigger reel seat. It's rated to 6 ozs. Very light. The rod is set up for an Abu 6500. Too bad your all the way over in India.

Not sure if it was offered in 11' but if you can find an old Daiwa Sealine X conventional that would work.

I have a 10' that fits the description of the rod you want, except of course it's not 11', and not sure about the 70-30 split.

I think the old Sealine X blanks are still available but they are now called something else. The newer Sealines are not the same. Somebody will know what they're now called.

Greetings,

I'm looking for a 2 piece 11' conventional rod rated for 2-4 oz lures. I will be using this rod to fish for GTs and Barracudas when they are feeding out far. I have rods that will get the job done when the fish are in close. The fish are about 15 to 20 pounds (average) and hence I'm not looking for anything that is really heavy. Also, I prefer a rod with 70/30 split and with quality components. So a Mojo is not what I'm looking for, but the Legend doesn't have the 3/4 to 4 oz rated rod.

I am planning to pair this rod with one of my Abu 6500/7500 reels.

Looking for some suggestions for a 11' conventional rod. Thanks, Maruthu

You know after you mentioned the above rods i thought about what you said, in that there is no Legend in 3/4-4oz rating in the length you want and being a conventional. Then i remembered that the eleven foot Mojo (even though it has Deshan LC knockoffs ) has a lot of the attributes you want.

Super lightweight, powerful, a very moderate action,(even a hair more moderate than the Legend 3/4-4oz rod) and it is very overrated in it's weight listings 3-8oz, it's much much closer to 2-5. Andre Schwartz said it's the longest casting eleven footer he has tried a few months back.

That rod has quality components like Fuji seats etc... and the guide quality is very good , most can't tell any difference in performance compared to the Fuji LC and they seem quite durable . Just thought you might want to take a look at that model again, especially after the comments it received recently by some guys. If you have specific questions about it pm Andy.

AFAW estuary. 11 foot. Rated 1-3 oz. It will throw 4, but 1-3 is better. 6500 abu pro rocket and 14# fireline. My best casting conventional. Light and a pleasure to fish. Only down side is that I would not use it for larger fish in good current (e.g., cape cod canal).

Jigman

AFAW estuary. 11 foot. Rated 1-3 oz. It will throw 4, but 1-3 is better. 6500 abu pro rocket and 14# fireline. My best casting conventional. Light and a pleasure to fish. Only down side is that I would not use it for larger fish in good current (e.g., cape cod canal).

Jigman

I wrapped this blank in both spinning and conventional and it's a winner!

I use it with an ABU 6500 CS Mag Elite with 17# test BG. No braid just yet. C2

I am thinking you might be happier with a 10" rod...more fun.

I'm looking at making a similar purchase.

St. Croix has some alternatives to the MOJO, if your not

into the MOJO.

Maruthu,

Just curious why a 70/30 split is your preference given you want a conventional rod. I like this split in a spinner that I would use to work pencils, but for conventional plugging w/o pencils, slinging jigs & metal- this arrangement doesn't seem necessary to me, imho. If it's just a feel thing, or you just want a 70/30 split, that's fine too.

You would have a greater range of choices if a 50/50 split was okay. And you might save a little on s&h to India, and make it easier to transport to your fishing grounds. For example, 2 factory Ron Arra rods come to mind.

Either way, good luck!

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I have just the rod you need. It's the Any FishAnyWhere Uptide. It's 10' 9" long. wrapped conventional by Mike Thomas at Cape Cod Tackle. All fugi components and trigger reel seat. It's rated to 6 ozs. Very light. The rod is set up for an Abu 6500. Too bad your all the way over in India.

I still have all my rods in PA.

It is going to cost me about $200 have them all shipped to India and I thought I might as well get another one :)

Maruthu,

Just curious why a 70/30 split is your preference given you want a conventional rod. I like this split in a spinner that I would use to work pencils, but for conventional plugging w/o pencils, slinging jigs & metal- this arrangement doesn't seem necessary to me, imho. If it's just a feel thing, or you just want a 70/30 split, that's fine too.

You would have a greater range of choices if a 50/50 split was okay. And you might save a little on s&h to India, and make it easier to transport to your fishing grounds. For example, 2 factory Ron Arra rods come to mind.

Either way, good luck!

I already do have a 10' Lami XS10MHC and love it a lot.

I was looking for a 70/30 split because of the obvious one piece feel and besides that I prefer all the guides in my rod to be on the tip section. Do you think if I bought a custom conventional, can all the guides be placed in the tip section and still be loaded effectively even with a 50/50 split?

Thanks, Maruthu

All the guides on the top piece of a 50/50 eleven might be a problem. Under a strain, the line is likely to go under the blank, back up and then into the first guide. I have an old Ben Doerr 10 footer. It is 60/40 with all the guides on the top half. I had good fish in the Cape Cod Canal pull the rod down so that my line did the under the rod and back again thing during the fight. I don't know how long it would take for the braid to damage the rod, but it was strange looking and worried my friends. ;)

All the guides on the top piece of a 50/50 eleven might be a problem. Under a strain, the line is likely to go under the blank, back up and then into the first guide. I have an old Ben Doerr 10 footer. It is 60/40 with all the guides on the top half. I had good fish in the Cape Cod Canal pull the rod down so that my line did the under the rod and back again thing during the fight. I don't know how long it would take for the braid to damage the rod, but it was strange looking and worried my friends. ;)

Stewie,

That is one of the reasons I was looking for a 70/30 split :)

Anyway, I do not mind if the rod was 11'6" or 12' feet for that matter.

I will be fishing this rod only from the beach to cast lures like a 2 3/8 oz Super Strike Popper or a 3 oz T-Hex

Maruthu

This AFAW uptide has a great ferrule. It's a 50/50 rod with the first guide on the bottom half. Mike Thomas at M&D's knows rods. He built it and laid out the guides.

The rod is wrapped green under, black over with silver trim rings. X flock handles and trigger reel seat. It's a beauty. Brand new. It will do exactly what you are looking for except the 70/30.

This AFAW uptide has a great ferrule. It's a 50/50 rod with the first guide on the bottom half. Mike Thomas at M&D's knows rods. He built it and laid out the guides.

The rod is wrapped green under, black over with silver trim rings. X flock handles and trigger reel seat. It's a beauty. Brand new. It will do exactly what you are looking for except the 70/30.

Nice!

So, are you plannning on selling it :D

Maruthu