Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

Low Carb and High Fat...

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

That stuff is BS. Have a lifestyle change. That is the correct way to do things.

Most would argue that it is indeed a lifestyle change.

To the OP: doesn't have to be high fat. It could be low carb, moderate fat (olive oil, fish, chicken...stay away from bacon, tho if you like it is the only diet where bacon can be a friend), with lots and lots of green veg after induction. It's easier if you're open to asian foods/flavors (like Tofu). Helps if you can cook solo meals efficiently.

Most would argue that it is indeed a lifestyle change.

To the OP: doesn't have to be high fat. It could be low carb, moderate fat (olive oil, fish, chicken...stay away from bacon, tho if you like it is the only diet where bacon can be a friend), with lots and lots of green veg after induction. It's easier if you're open to asian foods/flavors (like Tofu). Helps if you can cook solo meals efficiently.

Nobody should eat that way for long extended periods of time. YOU NEED CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow...lots of ideas. Since starting insulin October 31st, I have adopted a low carb diet for multiple reasons. First being the obvious, sugar kills, well actually, too much sugar kills, even more actually too much sugar kills me. Now on a 20-30 carbs per day and My sugars are doing great. In fact probably better than the majority in here. I do use the insulin and want to keep the insulin dose as low as possible. My 90 day glucose average is right around 96. I don't fear cooking in animal fats, they tolerate high heats without the cancerous outcomes of some of the other fats that are available. Both my parents were on insulin by 38 years old. My brother and I are two totally different people. He had the self discipline from day one to live the low carb lifestyle and, at 47, he has a 90 day average blood sugar, without any medication of about 100. He should, by all accounts never need to do the needle as I have done. At 49 I needed the needle. Oh my cholesterol? 127 total, 77 trig, hdl47, ldl 111. Not too shabby. Now if I could get off my butt and do a bit more exercise.....I've dropped a total of 64 pounds(now a svelt 208-10, 38 inch waist) over a 4-5 year period and for the last 5 months have kept off every ounce I have lost. I have not cheated once, not once on the diet as I face the "machine" 4 times a day. For me it is working very well. I agree with KOQ - older and go low carb - check your protein clearance before doing it. Can really o a number on the kidneys

Vey low carb diets become more difficult the less bodyfat you have. Ive been able to ride a bicycle for an entire day without any food whatsoever. of course my performance suffered but I was riding for weight loss, not for time. As I got leaner, my tolerance for being able to ride long distances without food wasn't the same.

More paddling and biking, knee's are shot. Certainly a low carb diet and using insulin can increase the risk of a hypoglycemic incident. But have been learning the ins and outs of the amount I can do and then adjusting insulin and carbs to match. Still staying under 30 grams. Doing my sugars every 15-20 minutes while an activity is occurring to learn what the body is doing.

Remember that in the place of the intake of carbs, you liver will dump sugars for use. Weight loss

Yeah but lots of exercise and a healthy diet is way better then fad diets.

I dont necessarily consider it a fad diet. there are several low carb fad diets out there. i dont like any of them. nothing burns fat like eating no carbs for a couple days though. I would never do it for more than a few days at a time.