Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Magpie

Mounting the FF in the Hobie mast hole

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am not sure if anyone has mounted the FF that way. Does Scottie or Ram make a mount for that mast hole?

Thanks

Bri

Yes Hobie offers an adapter for the mast hole that will then connect to a standard RAM. However, Unless you have eagle eyes you will have a hard time seeing details at that distance with a small screen. You also cannot make adjustments while underway. I personaly fish at night at need to adjust my light as conditions change. I install about 60 FF'S a saeson on Hobies and put them all just behind the rudder up down handles. Left side for rightys and right side for leftys.

thank you for the tip. I was thinking the mast to be out of the way just in case of paddling. I will have to test fit it on the deck to see best place.

Thanks

You wont be paddling. Many people who get their first Hobie think that they are going to paddle it half the time. In reality most start leaving their paddle home and not even taking it with them. That is not a good idea as you always want the paddle for variety of reasons. If you use the RAM mount on the gunnel like I recomended you can simply loosen the ball and fold it screen down out of the way for paddling or pop it off altogether. It only takes seconds to do either.

I have the 383 Hbird combo unit with 3" screen size mounted in the mast using the wedge mount with 1" ball and can see the screen without issue. It's a perfect place for me but not the only option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrell View Post

In reality most start leaving their paddle home and not even taking it with them.

Yikes! I'm sure you'd know better than me, but I don't know anyone that heads out w/out a paddle.

Bdisanto - I'm not sure what your yak fishing style is like, but I find myself always landing fish on my right side so I like to keep that side clear. Mine is mounted on left side gunnel a few inches in front (toward the bow) of my rudder "up" cable (or whatever ya call it). It's comfortable to reach while I'm in the yak, and enough out of the way so that I can re-enter my yak from that side if I end up in the drink. I don't mean to discourage you from the mast hole approach, I know a lot of guys really like it mounted there, it's just not for me.

Mast hole for me.. It's perfect. Easy enough to see, however, I am 6' 4", and I can see how it might be a stretch for those of you who are "vertically challenged".. :D I use a short length of pvc with just enough wraps of eletrical tape for a snug fit. At the top, I modified a PVC "T" to accept a mounting plate with a 1" ball. I tried a few spots before it settled here. No complaints.

I am going to have to sit in the boat and move the mount around checking out all the options.

Good idea, will save a lot of needless holes!

I mounted mine on the gunwale, in line with the mirage drive click-n-go. Ram mounts behind seat. This layout works good for me, easy to see/use ff/gps, easy to paddle (if needed) and plenty of room to

get in/out of yak and sit sideways. I also use a sail once in awhile in the mast hole, adds a little fun when the winds pick up!

The reason we mount them down in the tray 2 or 3 inches behind the rudder lift handle is so the ball is below the gunnel when the FF is removed. Many guys have to put them upside down on the roof of the vehicle and this keeps the ball from catching the car rack as the slide it forward.