Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justintrask

AmeriCorps Canal Cleanup

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

A bunch of us showed up and volunteered at this last year. Shark Lobster made and installed bait cutting stations on the fish pier, we hammered down some loose boards on the fish pier, and picked up a whole lot of trash from the herring run down to slightly past the Cribbin. I am definitely going to be doing this again this year, and welcome anybody else to come on down and help out.

April 21, 2012

9:00 AM - 1:00 PM Canal Clean-Up

Buzzards Bay Recreation Area, Bourne MA

Canal Clean-Up is an Earth Week volunteer event organized in partnership between the Army Corps of Engineers and AmeriCorps Cape Cod. Every year since 2000, over 200 volunteers come annually to walk along the banks of the Cape Cod Canal and pick up hundreds of pounds of trash.

The Cape Cod Canal is the widest sea-level canal in the world! It is 480 feet wide and cuts through about 7 miles of land, and makes Cape Cod technically an island. It is maintained and operated by the Army Corps of Engineers. Many people walk, bike, and fish along the Canal’s service roads and shores, and it provides many recreation opportunities for the Upper Cape community.

Canal Clean-Up is a great opportunity to serve the community, but it’s also a lot of fun! Past events have featured live music, environmental education booths, face painting, tie-dyeing, and refreshments for volunteers.

^^^ From the AmeriCorps website.

Are you really going to help clean up the canal when you

might not even be able to park anywhere along it when

fishing season starts - read all the posts in the "canal

parking" thread,pretty scary.

I've read it, but until I witness it first hand, I'll still do what I can.

From what I understand it will be a "Validated Parking Day" turn in a bag of trash (weighing at least 5 lbs) and any money you spend on parking or any tickets you get will be refunded. As concerned and respondsible tourists we all have to do our part in CTCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ceeping the canal clean)

............and to facilitate our ongoing investigation into this matter, if any of you kind clean-up volunteers plan to use your debit card, or for that matter your credit card, in any of our fine retail establishments in Boozadz Bhey, we would like to be informed if you later incur any erroneous charges to your account.

............and to facilitate our ongoing investigation into this matter, if any of you kind clean-up volunteers plan to use your debit card, or for that matter your credit card, in any of our fine retail establishments in Boozadz Bhey, we would like to be informed if you later incur any erroneous charges to your account.

Joe, it sounds like you are not going to be helping out at the clean up AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! what gives???????????????

Joe, it sounds like you are not going to be helping out at the clean up AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! what gives???????????????

April 21 is the day before Earth Day. In Boston we have a city wide, massive family effort clean-up and later a huge thank you type hoopla for the volunteers on Earth Day. Parade, costumes, sidewalk vendors, you name it, they will all be there. Heck of a lot of planning goes into this, especially the two days prior to the Earth Day.

I've always contributed my time to this worthy cause every year. Unfortunately, I can't be in two places at once. :(